trados support and maintenance contract?
Thread poster: Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:49
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 6, 2008

Hi everyone

my trados support and maintenance contract has recently expired and I was thinking of renewing it. A part from the very beginning when I bought the program a couple of years ago, I've never really needed the support service (fortunately), and I was mainly glad I had it because I was able to get all the program upgrades "free".
Now, the contract is quite expensive and possible upgrades would be the main reason for me to renew it once again, thinking and hoping at t
... See more
Hi everyone

my trados support and maintenance contract has recently expired and I was thinking of renewing it. A part from the very beginning when I bought the program a couple of years ago, I've never really needed the support service (fortunately), and I was mainly glad I had it because I was able to get all the program upgrades "free".
Now, the contract is quite expensive and possible upgrades would be the main reason for me to renew it once again, thinking and hoping at that point, that there'll be another upgrade soonish, but I was wondering whether it's worth it. What do you think? Do many of you have it and keep renewing it? For what reasons?

Thank you very much in advance for all your comments

Have a good day!

Mara
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 12:49
German
+ ...
Opinions Aug 7, 2008

Some people believe yes, some believe no:

See more
Some people believe yes, some believe no:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/91115-is_trados_support_and_maintenance_a_good_investment.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/110791-support.html

In my experience, the Trados problems I have and that I cannot solve on my own usually pertain to bugs in the software.

These cannot be solved by SDL support but have to be addressed by their development department which seems to be busy with implementing new features instead of fixing things that are broken (and in some cases have been broken for years).

Regarding free upgrades; I have found it more economical to just buy the upgrade when a new release comes out. Usually there's a good deal to be had around launch time of a new release.

HTH,
Benjamin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

trados support and maintenance contract?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »