Possible to use Workbench or SDLX with MT?
Thread poster: xxxmakenaiboy
xxxmakenaiboy
Japanese to English
Aug 15, 2008

Hi all,

I was wondering if it was possible to configure Workbench or SDLX to search an external machine translation software such as Fujitsu Atlas or Systran? I recently saw an article indicate that this was possible, but I can't seem to find it.

Ideally, i'd let to set Workbench to search my TM and then if it finds no matches, invoke machine translation and offer a suggesion.

Thanks

Mark

[Edited at 2008-08-15 03:02]

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:27
French to Polish
+ ...
SDLX... Aug 15, 2008

makenaiboy wrote:

I was wondering if it was possible to configure Workbench or SDLX to search an external machine translation software such as Fujitsu Atlas or Systran? I recently saw an article indicate that this was possible, but I can't seem to find it.

It's possible in SDLX.
If you pourchased SDLX Prrofessional before the Trados acquisition by SDL, you're entitled to download and use a MT system developed by SDL for EN and 5 major west european languages (only EN-XX, XX-EN pairs).
Otherwise, you can connect an external file based engine.
SDL Edit -> Tools -> Machine Translation
As I remember, it works with Systran (I never tested it).

Unlike in Wordfast, the SDLX MT interface is not available for Google and/or other Web MT engines.

Ideally, i'd let to set Workbench to search my TM and then if it finds no matches, invoke machine translation and offer a suggesion.

SDLX proposes the MT as a special suggestion you can paste in the target field using Ctrl+0.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-08-15 08:43]

xxxmakenaiboy
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 16, 2008

Thanks, will give it a try

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:27
Member (2011)
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
SDLX + MT Sep 14, 2008

makenaiboy wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
It's possible in SDLX.
If you pourchased SDLX Prrofessional before the Trados acquisition by SDL, you're entitled to download and use a MT system developed by SDL for EN and 5 major west european languages (only EN-XX, XX-EN pairs).
Otherwise, you can connect an external file based engine.
SDL Edit -> Tools -> Machine Translation
As I remember, it works with Systran (I never tested it).

Unlike in Wordfast, the SDLX MT interface is not available for Google and/or other Web MT engines.

SDLX proposes the MT as a special suggestion you can paste in the target field using Ctrl+0.

SDL bought the Transparent MT system in 2000-2001. The enterprise level system still keeps the Transparent name. The desktop version is called Autotrans.

As for links from SDLX to online MT engines, this would not be to the online Systran system at the Systran site because Systran would be collaborating with a competitor.
SDLX could have set it up to connect with online MT portals like Google, BabelFish, etc which have mainly used the Systran version up to recently. Google has recent switched over from Systran to its own system it has been creating over the years.

The new version of Alchemy Catalyst also has an MT feature.

The issue that you will encounter with any TM system linking to an online MT portal is that no dictionary building work can be done. Dictionary building is what makes an MT product useful to a translator. Without that feature, and interactive ways to code the terms/dictionary entries, then you cannot train the MT system to do better each time.
Yet, this is what the pro/expert versions of the MT software have as features.

PROMT advanced versions have a plug-in for Trados TM. I saw it up on their website again the other day.

Check carefully what MT system (which system, which module, which version) is being accessed by a TM tool. In the majority of cases, they can only connect up with online portals (which are the lowest level of MT in terms of productivity features) or with older versions, but not the most recent versions.

Jeff

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible to use Workbench or SDLX with MT?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search