OpenOffice/SDL Trados 2007
Thread poster: WJJones
WJJones  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 16, 2008

I have been running Word 2007 wit SDL Trados 2007 for some time now, and although it functions correctly, it is horrendously, mind-numbingly slow, which I gather is more an MS Office than an SDL Trados problem. I thought of switching to Open Office Writer to see if that would work any quicker, and after having checked that SDL does indeed support OOW I downloaded it and it fired up in about 1/10th of the time Word takes to load but does not display the TW toolbar. Does anyone know how can I resolve this?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:17
German to English
+ ...
OpenOffice/SDL Trados 2007 Aug 16, 2008

SDL Trados supports OOo as a source file format, but not in the sense that OOo can be used as the user interface in the same way that Word is used.

There is a CAT tool, Anaphraseus, that uses OOo as the user interface:

anaphraseus.sourceforge.net

- it's still at an early stage of development (though promising), can't begin to compare with Trados' features, and I don't know whether it is any faster than Trados (I suspect not but I'm not qualified to judge).

The speed drawback can be overcome by standalone tools. Trados users will probably advise you to use Tag Editor.

Marc

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:17
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Right, TagEditor Aug 16, 2008

Trados Workbench is available only with MS Office.

As for Anaphraseus, it is still in beta status and can't so far match Trados by its functionality. Anaphraseus can't use translation memories of Trados, however it can produce files that, after conversion to MS Word format, can probably be cleaned up with Trados. At least, Wordfast does clean up them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OpenOffice/SDL Trados 2007

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search