I can not erased the sorce language
Thread poster: translateitnow
translateitnow
Local time: 13:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 20, 2008

Hello:

i was translating in Word with Trados 7 and i do not what happend or if i pressed something that now everytime i translate the source language does not go away and i see some wierd signs i tried to press the hide/show button but that is not it, is there a way to take that out, (ths simbols are in purple and not in black)

I hope you can help me out i am having a lot of troubles translating

Thank you

Direct link

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:31
English to German
+ ...
Works as designed - search for 'hidden text' Aug 20, 2008

Hi,
Please use the forum search, as this has been discussed many times before.

Also, this works as designed: source segments and tags should be displayed during interactive translation in the Word interface. As was suggested in another thread, you should familiarise yourself with the relevant functional features - in this specific case, refer to section 3-11 of the Translator's Workbench User Guide.

Best regards,
Ralf

Direct link

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:31
English to French
+ ...
And please, read the manual Aug 20, 2008

Read the manual.

I don't mean read all of it, but when you have a basic question like this, it takes two minutes to find the answer (in your case, you need to read the File Formats Guide, section Translating Word Files, or something of the sort).

I am amazed you don't even know what those "purple symbols" are - they are called segment marks. If the concept of segments is unknown to you, perhaps you should read your manual first. What do you think you have a manual for?

Direct link

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Knoweldge Base... Aug 21, 2008

Hello,

You can also find help with this issue by reading the following article from the SDL knowledge base:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1552&p=1

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Direct link

translateitnow
Local time: 13:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Aug 21, 2008

Thank you so much, i fixed it !

This was a better solution than go and read the manual, wich is the whole point of having forums.

Thank you again

Direct link

xxxUSER0059  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:31
English to Finnish
+ ...
Who needs manuals? Aug 21, 2008

translateitnow wrote:

This was a better solution than go and read the manual, wich is the whole point of having forums.

Yes, absolutely. After all, there are always those who not only do read their manuals, but also volunteer their time answering questions.

The only drawback is that waiting for the solution tends to take longer than looking it up directly.

Direct link

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:31
English to French
+ ...
Still amazed... (a tiny bit off topic) Aug 21, 2008

The point of using a forum is to find an answer to a question you weren't previously able to answer otherwise. You could have looked the information up in your manual, searched SDL's website, contacted SDL and searched the forum on this site. But no. It was easier for you to just ask those who may be tired of being asked the same stupid question over and over again.

By the way, if some good I bought doesn't work as expected, it's only logical I seek advice with those who made said good. What do you do when your internet connection doesn't work? Call your grandma?

Direct link

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not really Aug 21, 2008

translateitnow wrote:

Thank you again

Some day you will realise that Viktoria's and Ralf's pieces of advice are much more valuable than a straight solution.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime”

You seem to prefer to eat the fish that others can catch for you rather than fishing your own fish but sooner or later you will realise that if you learn to fish, you will not starve.

I don't think that it is very realistic to expect to be able run a professional business by depending on the possible support from the forums to meet your customers' expectations.

If I was your customer, I would not like to see that the successful completion of my projects depends on the good will of the translation forums members.

Daniel

[Edited at 2008-08-21 20:37]

[Edited at 2008-08-21 20:37]

[Edited at 2008-08-21 20:38]

[Edited at 2008-08-21 20:39]

Direct link

xxxJPW  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
! Aug 22, 2008

Not really

translateitnow wrote:

Thank you again

Some day you will realise that Viktoria's and Ralf's pieces of advice are much more valuable than a straight solution.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime”

Hear, hear.

At the risk of being censored (again), you can only learn by doing. Learning is an active process. Perhaps you should change the name of your company to Translateit-Just-as-soon-as-I-figure-out-what-this-button-does....hold on I can do this, shoot! I nearly had it. Where's that manual??

Direct link

lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
I just love this co-operative spirit Aug 22, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

The point of using a forum is to find an answer to a question you weren't previously able to answer otherwise. You could have looked the information up in your manual, searched SDL's website, contacted SDL and searched the forum on this site. But no. It was easier for you to just ask those who may be tired of being asked the same stupid question over and over again.

By the way, if some good I bought doesn't work as expected, it's only logical I seek advice with those who made said good. What do you do when your internet connection doesn't work? Call your grandma?

These and other comments such as those by Thor Kottelin always remind me how much I value the 'co-operative and helpful spirit' that is so much in evidence on Proz.com. It's so good to see experienced members like Viktoria and Thor offering the benefit of their experience readily to those who are less experienced and casting around for help, without ever a thought for their own inconvenience.

Direct link

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Locking the topic Aug 22, 2008

...as the discussion is going off topic.

Ralf

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I can not erased the sorce language

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search