MaguMM
MaguMM
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:27
English to German
+ ...
Aug 21, 2008

Hello,

I am more or less new to freelancing and think I need your help regarding some of the CAT tools that are on offer.

I had a look at some of the group buys here on the site ... and although the prices sounds pretty good I am unsure what to purchase?

I am particularly interested in the SDL Trados 2007 Freelance suite and Trados CCM and also had a look on www.sdl.com, but I
... See more
Hello,

I am more or less new to freelancing and think I need your help regarding some of the CAT tools that are on offer.

I had a look at some of the group buys here on the site ... and although the prices sounds pretty good I am unsure what to purchase?

I am particularly interested in the SDL Trados 2007 Freelance suite and Trados CCM and also had a look on www.sdl.com, but I think that confused me even more.

Basically, what I need is a "beginners" software, including a terminology management system, a tag editor and a feature that recognises the words to be translated.

Am I right in thinking that CCM is only a terminology system whereas the Freelance suite combines all aspects mentioned above?

If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate it - thank you!
Collapse

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:27
Russian to English
There are 3 components in CCM Aug 21, 2008

First of all, there are no "beginner" CAT tools. Anything you choose will require some effort to get used to and learn the basics.

Trados Freelance is one component of the CCM Suite. It includes Workbench and TagEditor - these are two things you will use in your translation "environment" while using Trados TMs.

CCM is comprised of:
- Trados Freelance (translation environment)
- Muliterm (terminology management)
- Extract (auxiliary to terminology manag
... See more
First of all, there are no "beginner" CAT tools. Anything you choose will require some effort to get used to and learn the basics.

Trados Freelance is one component of the CCM Suite. It includes Workbench and TagEditor - these are two things you will use in your translation "environment" while using Trados TMs.

CCM is comprised of:
- Trados Freelance (translation environment)
- Muliterm (terminology management)
- Extract (auxiliary to terminology management)

I would recommend downloading the demo version of Trados Freelance and going through the tutorial that they provide, it's very clear and will help you gain a better understanding of just exactly what these things are
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:27
Spanish
+ ...
It seems ... Aug 21, 2008

Since the Trados Suite doesn't include Multiterm Extract. It seems that the people who bought the Trados Suite (non-CCM), just days earlier, paid the same price for fewer products.

MaguMM
MaguMM
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:27
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 21, 2008

Thanks for your replies!

@Megan:

Maybe "beginners" software was the wrong term to use - I realise I'll have to spend a lot of time familiarising myself with the new software. What I meant was a package that would more or less cover the basics of what I'll need, so I wouldn't have to get three different programmes for twice the price straight away (if you know what I mean).

I'll definitely h
... See more
Thanks for your replies!

@Megan:

Maybe "beginners" software was the wrong term to use - I realise I'll have to spend a lot of time familiarising myself with the new software. What I meant was a package that would more or less cover the basics of what I'll need, so I wouldn't have to get three different programmes for twice the price straight away (if you know what I mean).

I'll definitely have a look at the demo - thanks for the tip, for some reason I didn't think of that at all!!!

@Claudia:

That's what I was thinking. In one of those group buys, the CCM package was much cheaper than the Freelance version - hence my confusion!

From what both of you have said though it definitely looks like CCM is the right tool to look into!

Thanks again
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confused: Trados CCM vs. Trados Freelance

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »