Which Trados bugs fixes and improvements have been implemented, lately?
Thread poster: Riccardo Schiaffino

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:48
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 27, 2008

I wonder if any of the more persistent bugs in Trados have been fixed with the latest releases (since, say, version 7).

As far as I know, they haven't, but I would be happy to learn otherwise.

In particular, I'm thinking of such longstanding defects as the fact that formats are often mangled in MS Word documents, the irregular behavior of Workbench when translating MS Word tables with multiple columns (when Set Close/Next Open Get skips entire rows), the absence of shortcuts to open directly the previous segment, or the feebleness of the search functions within Tag Editor.

As far as I know, all development efforts were focused on supporting Vista/Office 2007, on corporate features, and on fixing some really disastrous new bugs (if any were introduced or discovered recently).

No real improvements to longstanding bugs, defects and annoyances as mentioned above. Does anybody know if this is still true, or which defects (if any) have been fixed after version 7.1 and which improvements have been implemented?

Please note: this is substantially the same question I've posted in my blog About Translation. I've added it here also because I think that it may interest other ProZ members, and to increase the probability of getting interesting answers.

[Edited at 2008-08-28 05:55]

Direct link Reply with quote

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:48
English to Dutch
+ ...
The SDL Trados nightmare. But what are the alternatives? Aug 28, 2008

Hi Riccardo

I fully agree with you, especially on Trados' inability to weight words. The word "in" has the same match value as the word "interpretation", which leads to endless re-typing of long words and names.

An even more serious bug: if you import a TM this may cause irreparable data base corruption. It has happend to me twice, once with my biggest and most important TM. Since at the time I did not know that my TM was not fixable, I also 'infected' my backup by overwriting it with an export from the defective TM, which afterwards was entirely lost.

The situation isn't much better with the MultiTerm termbases. Removing and reinstalling MultiTerm can cause serious data loss.

Add to this the incredible un-intuitiveness of MultiTerm and the fragile cooperation between Trados, Word and MultiTerm and you have the perfect package of reasons to steer away from this overpriced nightmare of a program suite.

The question remains: are the other programs really better? Does Wordfast integrate term recognition better, for example? Or what about the weighting of word length in fuzzy matches? I don't mind paying, say, 200 dollars for a simpler, more reliable alternative, but how will I know if it really is better?

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:48
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not that I noticed Aug 28, 2008

I use version 8. The only change I noticed was that installation took twice as long as with 7, also for the SDLX-part. And every time I start Workbench I can play one game of Freecell before the interface appears.
Most of the time I export the segments that need translation to rtf, translate with Wordfast and only update the ttx and the Trados TM when I'm finnished. So for a week of work I have WB and Tageditor running for about 10 minutes.

Wordfast used to be good in Word-tables, but lately it has got a bug, stops in multi-colums tables.

The Trados team has a conservative approach to bug-fixing. After years of developing the function for returning to the previous segment is still missing both in the Word-module and in TE.
Regards
Heinrich

Mari Noller
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:48
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Somewhat better Aug 28, 2008

I thought that running Trados on Windows Vista with Office 2007 would be a nightmare, but it does actually work better than running it on Windows XP with Office 2003, so they must have done something productive the past year or so.

What does annoy and shock me is that Word spellchecker still doesn't work in TagEditor. This is a tool for translators and you can't use it with a spellchecker. How ironic.
Luckily I discovered that the files can be checked in SDLX, but it's still somewhat annoying.

I've also noticed that the installation is quite long. The only other program I've installed that took as long was my younger cousin's game, Sims 2, but at least it had its own little game included in the installer. Might be worth suggesting this to SDL.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:48
English to Swedish
+ ...
ideas.sdltrados.com Aug 29, 2008

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

I wonder if any of the more persistent bugs in Trados have been fixed with the latest releases (since, say, version 7).

In particular, I'm thinking of such longstanding defects as the fact that formats are often mangled in MS Word documents, the irregular behavior of Workbench when translating MS Word tables with multiple columns (when Set Close/Next Open Get skips entire rows), the absence of shortcuts to open directly the previous segment, or the feebleness of the search functions within Tag Editor.

Hey Riccardo, check this:
http://ideas.sdltrados.com/

If you look under "Latest Accepted Ideas", you will find that "Regular Expression Search and Replace" is being added as a TagEditor function. Just as you mentioned it!

So SDL does listen to the customer base, sometimes at least

The Ideas site is a good place for feature requests, since you can also vote for other suggestions. I strongly advocate using it if you have constructive critisism!

/J

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:48
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ideas SDL Trados Aug 29, 2008

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

If you look under "Latest Accepted Ideas", you will find that "Regular Expression Search and Replace" is being added as a TagEditor function. Just as you mentioned it!

So SDL does listen to the customer base, sometimes at least

The Ideas site is a good place for feature requests, since you can also vote for other suggestions. I strongly advocate using it if you have constructive critisism!

I was aware of the Ideas site (I had in fact mentioned it in my blog early this year).

However, please note that so many really old suggestions (e.g., open previous segment, context search on both translation and source) are indicated as "tentatively accepted" for "Future Release". Considering the long history of inattention to translators' needs by Trados (and now SDL), what I would like to know are improvements and bug fixes that have actually been implemented in a version that is already available.

Is the example you mention ("Regular Expression Search and Replace") implemented in a current version of Tag Editor (and, if so, which one), or is it only slated for future release? Because if it is merely "tentatively accepted" it is still just vaporware.

UPDATE

I now see on the idea site "Both suggestions [about some additional tagEditor search features] have already been implemented - along with other Search & Replace enhancements like Search Target Only and Wildcard Search - in SDL TRADOS 2007."

So that is an actual improvement (and a welcome one!) but "Add true Regular Expression search and replace" is still marked as "Accepted - SDL Trados future development" (and therefore, still vaporware).

SECOND UPDATE

Just to give an idea how quick to respond to even the simplest request SDL/Trados programmers are: The idea "Go to Previous Segment in Trados " was included 429 days ago (although this one is actually a lot older), and the SDL personnel marked it immediately as "good idea, one for consideration". It then attracted a ton of voters from users, and is now "accepted for future development" (i.e., still vaporware).

[Edited at 2008-08-29 18:07]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Trados bugs fixes and improvements have been implemented, lately?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search