Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:18
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 28, 2008

Dear all,

I need to establish the keystroke count in several DOC files that contain both untranslated and translated parts. I would need the count of only those segments that were translated in Trados (target segments). Is there a function for this?

To give you a better idea: Basically each page contains a few lines of standard information on the top that did not get translated (in most cases). Underneath this standard information is the translated text in bilingual format.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Stefanie

Direct link Reply with quote

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:18
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Look at the cleaning log Aug 28, 2008

1. Clean the document

2. Look at the log

3. Take the character count given and add the number of words (because the Trados character count doesn't include spaces, and adding the word count will give you the total keystrokes including spaces)

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Kevin! Aug 28, 2008

Thank you for your reply, Kevin! But isn't the word count in the Trados cleaning logs that of the source text? I need to invoice on a basis of 1800 keystrokes of the target text.

Mari Noller
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Count in the clean file Aug 28, 2008

Perhaps you can open up the clean file and count the words in that? You can set Trados to make all translated text appear with a different font colour so you can easily find it in the clean file, then just mark it and check the word count in Word.

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Mari! Aug 28, 2008

Thank you for your suggestion, Mari. My files contain a total of almost 300 pages, so I was hoping to find an automatic way of arriving at the count that I need.

Mari Noller wrote:

Perhaps you can open up the clean file and count the words in that? You can set Trados to make all translated text appear with a different font colour so you can easily find it in the clean file, then just mark it and check the word count in Word.

Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
One more reason to quote source text Aug 28, 2008

I always quote source text to avoid problems like that. Paying the target text encourages verbosity in some people.

Seriously, though, you might just clean the document into an empty TM, export the TM content and convert that to a tab-delimited list, import into Excel and count the appropriate column with the target text. There might be an easier way (with DVX there is!), but this is what comes to mind at the moment.

With DV I would just import the files and do the statistics. If these are Word/RTF files you would have to do a search and replace on "no match" segments to change all the zeroes to some other number like "01".

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Analyse with inverted TM Aug 28, 2008

Create an inverted TM (export your TM, create a new one with inverted language pair and import) and analyse your cleaned translation files. But it is still not very exact, because Trados could use different segmentation for the translation.

Kevin's method is also good, but you would lose all your repetitions.

Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Lose how? Aug 28, 2008

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Create an inverted TM (export your TM, create a new one with inverted language pair and import) and analyse your cleaned translation files. But it is still not very exact, because Trados could use different segmentation for the translation.

Interesting approach, but you're right - the segmentation could be a problem here. Excluding the low/no matches you might exclude text you actually translated, so it's safer to look at the ... AH! of course. You're right, just looking at the TM will in fact miss the repetitions. So it's better to try the DVX counting method if you have access to the tool. I suppose that would even work with an unlicensed demo version - I'll pull my dongle off later and try that when I have time.

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Repetitions Aug 28, 2008

Hynek Palatin wrote:

It actually wouldn't be a problem to lose the repetitions since there were hardly any. Thank you for your input, everybody!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Counting keystrokes in translated segments only

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search