https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/113939-font_changes_in_almost_every_word.html

Font changes in almost every word
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Aug 29, 2008

I recieved a doc-file, which looks quite normal when viewed in WordXP or as pdf. I thought it would be a good idea to translate it in SDLX, but after preparing the itd-file and loading it into Edit there are font-changes all over the place:

(tag)i(tag)n (tag)ever(tag)y (tag)wor(tag)d there is a tag before the last character. So I cannot use SDLX.
I tried Trados 2007 with the same file, and the same mess with font-changes appears also in Tageditor and when I export to rtf.
... See more
I recieved a doc-file, which looks quite normal when viewed in WordXP or as pdf. I thought it would be a good idea to translate it in SDLX, but after preparing the itd-file and loading it into Edit there are font-changes all over the place:

(tag)i(tag)n (tag)ever(tag)y (tag)wor(tag)d there is a tag before the last character. So I cannot use SDLX.
I tried Trados 2007 with the same file, and the same mess with font-changes appears also in Tageditor and when I export to rtf.
In Word though all looks normal. Segmentation works fine.

I wonder what went wrong?

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:34
Swedish to English
+ ...
Former PDF file ? Aug 29, 2008

I have seen this, where a PDF file (particularly a graphics PDF file) is converted to Word, and the Word file is sent to me to translate.
If Word does not have the same font, then Word has to guess the size of each character. The font character spacing may also vary, sometimes for each letter, so you end up with a file like the one you describe.

You may be able to fix it by imposing a style on all the characters. Or else copy everything into Notepad, then copy back into a new
... See more
I have seen this, where a PDF file (particularly a graphics PDF file) is converted to Word, and the Word file is sent to me to translate.
If Word does not have the same font, then Word has to guess the size of each character. The font character spacing may also vary, sometimes for each letter, so you end up with a file like the one you describe.

You may be able to fix it by imposing a style on all the characters. Or else copy everything into Notepad, then copy back into a new clean empty Word file.
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Other alternatives Aug 29, 2008

Notepad is a solution for the extreme cases. Often you can clean up most of the crap by opening and re-saving with swriter (OpenOffice) or WordPad (the Windows utility). That way at least some of the formatting is preserved.

However, with a little practice one can apply desired formatting to naked text files so quickly that the Notepad option is often a huge time saver.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Textmode won't do Aug 29, 2008

The file is also full of images and all kind of different styles. So it won't help if I translate the text in textmode, because the client wants of course a file that looks identical to the original.
My last hope is OmegaT, but if that does not work better than Trados I must use Wordfast or type over these 8000 words.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 19:34
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
After OCR Aug 29, 2008

What you describe is typical for files which are ouptut from OCR. I clean them with this macro (for certain reasons I run it only in selections, so you have to select all text to be "cleaned"):

Sub normal_density_of_chars()
With Selection.Font
.Spacing = 0
.Scaling = 100
.Position = 0
.Kerning = 0
End With
End Sub

HTH

Antonin

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot, Antonin Aug 29, 2008

I ran your macro and it helped. All looks fine now in TE.
Regards
Heinrich

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
The character spacing tab of the font properties dialog in Word does basically the same thing Aug 29, 2008

Nice to see that as a macro, though, Antonín - more useful for automating that mess. Thank you.

[Edited at 2008-08-29 19:05]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Font changes in almost every word

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »