I can't get Workbench to open
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:39
Spanish
+ ...
Sep 3, 2008

I don't know what's wrong. The last thing I did with WB was to use it to manually run the Concordance tool. Last week I had translated a 2k-word document and I used an empty TM, so it was very small. I was also using a Concordance TM, which wasn't small (around 200MB) but everything was running very smoothly.

However this afternoon I tried to open WB and nothing happens. TW4Win.exe does run but it uses no more than 30k kb and nothing else happens. There's no error message either so I can't figure it out. I have no idea what to do, I did run a search in SDL's KB and these forums but I don't know what should I be looking for.

I have Trados 8 running in a Vista system. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Claudia

Direct link Reply with quote

Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 04:39
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
With Vista - don't forget administrator. Sep 3, 2008

Have you remembered to open 'as Administrator'.
Maybe it will work. Otherwise try to re-registre.

Birthe

Mari Noller
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:39
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Repair the product? Sep 3, 2008

I've found that using the Repair function in Control Panel - Add/Remove programs quite helpful. Have you tried this?

Some Windows Updates might change certain things in your system that might affect certain programs, but I've never experienced this myself (and I have all the latest updates in Vista).

xxxOptiproz Pri
Local time: 04:39
English
Maybe... Sep 3, 2008

....it could be that the Workbench is open but out of range of your display.

Can you confirm that Workbench is still running in the background (check in the Task Manager under processes for TW4Win.exe)

If yes try this:

1. Close Translator's Workbench or end the process over the Task Manager.
2. Click on the Vista "blob" (Start menu)
3. Type "regedit" in the Run/Search box.
4. Press enter. The Windows Registry editor is displayed.
5. In the left side pane, navigate through the folders to the following path : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TRADOS\TW4Win\Last Session.
6. Delete now the folder "Last Session"

Cheers

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:39
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Settings Sep 3, 2008

Thank you all for your suggestions, specially to Optiproz Prime because the display settings were the cause of the WB problem. I deleted the Last Session folder and WB is visible again. Thanks, I would have never figured it out by myself.

Claudia

Optiproz Prime wrote:

....it could be that the Workbench is open but out of range of your display.

Can you confirm that Workbench is still running in the background (check in the Task Manager under processes for TW4Win.exe)

If yes try this:

1. Close Translator's Workbench or end the process over the Task Manager.
2. Click on the Vista "blob" (Start menu)
3. Type "regedit" in the Run/Search box.
4. Press enter. The Windows Registry editor is displayed.
5. In the left side pane, navigate through the folders to the following path : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TRADOS\TW4Win\Last Session.
6. Delete now the folder "Last Session"

Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I can't get Workbench to open

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search