Translating Corel Ventura files?
Thread poster: Jabberwock

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:46
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Sep 3, 2008

Could someone refresh my memory how to go about translating CV tagged files?

I save the frame text as ASCII text file (Export on save). I open the resulting txt file with TagEditor, selecting Ventura Tagged option.

However, the file is not recognized properly - the tag names show in the translated text (e.g. @Header 1 =), moreover the paragraphs (and, subsequently, segments) are split on each line.

This cannot be really how it is supposed to be, is it? It's not what I would call "support for Corel Ventura files"...

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which Corel Ventura version? Sep 3, 2008

I remember translating a CV 8 file in a way you described.
The export you create has txt as ending?
If so, please go to Filter Settings (in Trados), and there on "Regular Expression text files" remove the "*.txt" entry. This way the file should be properly tagged.
As for line breaks - do they not exist in CV already?

Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, that was it... Sep 3, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

The export you create has txt as ending?
If so, please go to Filter Settings (in Trados), and there on "Regular Expression text files" remove the "*.txt" entry. This way the file should be properly tagged.

Yes that was it! Line breaks solved as well...

The files, indeed were saved as txt, as the TagEditor option was named "Ventura Tagged (*.txt)". But I suppose demanding that TagEditor opened files specified as Ventura tagged files, as, well, Ventura tagged files is asking too much...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Same principle for Pagemaker Sep 3, 2008

This is in fact a slight incosnsistence in the filter itself, providing Tageditor with the wrong information, that any *.txt file is a "regular expressions" file. This setting overrides the filtering (taging) of Pagemaker story collector and obviously exported CV files.
Glad you can work with them now.
But don't expect wonder. Corel Ventura itself is not the best, and the cooperation Trados/CV wasn't any briliant in my experience. A lot of reworking afterwars, unfortunatelly. I'm glad I don't have any Corel Ventura jobs, even if I bought this software because of some jobs...

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
thanks Sep 4, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

... that any *.txt file is a "regular expressions" file. This setting overrides the filtering (tagging) of Pagemaker story collector and obviously exported CV files.

Glad you can work with them now.

I used to have Pagemaker.txt sent to me as Pagemaker.txt.TTX; if not (same as Jabberwock's Ventura).

Thanks for getting me out of that slump.

Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Sometimes it is worth it... Sep 4, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But don't expect wonder. Corel Ventura itself is not the best, and the cooperation Trados/CV wasn't any briliant in my experience. A lot of reworking afterwars, unfortunatelly. I'm glad I don't have any Corel Ventura jobs, even if I bought this software because of some jobs...

I've been through worse, I've worked with CV5 for so many years... Even if there are not many jobs, there are even less translators who can handle them, which makes for a nice negotiating position...

Again, thanks for the help!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I learned formatting with Corel Ventura 4.2 Sep 4, 2008

it was a nice program - one single formatting change somwhere and the whole document was crap... And then just one action to be undone... Good old times, how I would wish many of our customers be forced to develop their documents in Corel Ventura 4. I suppose we would have much less problems with crap formatting then.

Glad I was able to help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Corel Ventura files?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search