New SDL Trados user needs advice for purchasing
Thread poster: Christa Fehr

Christa Fehr  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:04
English to German
+ ...
Sep 3, 2008

Hi, I want to start working with SDL Trados, could anybody recommend me the right "package" to buy. There are a lot of offers.
Thanks in advance, Chris

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-09-03 23:21]

Direct link Reply with quote

Paul Kozelka  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Trados Selection Sep 4, 2008

Hello Christa,

I have been working steadily with Trados for 5 full years now, and have tackled the steep learning curve and come out on top, at least for my purposes of a busy translation billet. If, by "package", you are wondering if you should shell out the shekels for MultiTerm, my answer is 'yes', but for "MultiTerm Extractor", my personal opinion is 'no'. That is, unless you need and have time to invest in building new terminology bases from scratch. I have a lovely, very rudimentary, term extractor called "TermEx30" (reference on request) that is very cheap and simply breaks out a list of all the words in a doc so you can see which ones are repeated, which ones you need to look up and insert in MultiTerm, etc., and which I almost never use now that I have MultiTerm with a couple dozen healthy term bases, mostly built as I was doing translations. The SDLTrados/SDLX package takes up a lot of processing power when it's on, and involves lots of complex task management features that are best suited for agencies with PM's and many translators working on the same sorts of projects. I invested in this package when I upgraded to Trados Freelance 2007 (v.8) but it is gathering dust on my desktop! It does have SDLX which is used by a limited number of agencies and is one more CAT tool to learn the ropes for. I would start with T FL v.8 and MultiTerm...which will already give you lots to learn! Best of luck, Paul

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:04
Spanish
+ ...
Wait until you see a CCM sale Sep 4, 2008

A few weeks ago, there was a CCM offer that included Multiterm Extract, which isn't normally included in other SDL Trados TGBs.

Check out this thread:
www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/113198-confused:_trados_ccm_vs_trados_freelance.html

Christa Fehr  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Paul, thank you for your advise ! Sep 21, 2008

Paul Kozelka wrote:

Hello Christa,

I have been working steadily with Trados for 5 full years now, and have tackled the steep learning curve and come out on top, at least for my purposes of a busy translation billet. If, by "package", you are wondering if you should shell out the shekels for MultiTerm, my answer is 'yes', but for "MultiTerm Extractor", my personal opinion is 'no'. That is, unless you need and have time to invest in building new terminology bases from scratch. I have a lovely, very rudimentary, term extractor called "TermEx30" (reference on request) that is very cheap and simply breaks out a list of all the words in a doc so you can see which ones are repeated, which ones you need to look up and insert in MultiTerm, etc., and which I almost never use now that I have MultiTerm with a couple dozen healthy term bases, mostly built as I was doing translations. The SDLTrados/SDLX package takes up a lot of processing power when it's on, and involves lots of complex task management features that are best suited for agencies with PM's and many translators working on the same sorts of projects. I invested in this package when I upgraded to Trados Freelance 2007 (v.8) but it is gathering dust on my desktop! It does have SDLX which is used by a limited number of agencies and is one more CAT tool to learn the ropes for. I would start with T FL v.8 and MultiTerm...which will already give you lots to learn! Best of luck, Paul

[Bearbeitet am 2008-09-21 15:53]

[Bearbeitet am 2008-09-21 15:55]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New SDL Trados user needs advice for purchasing

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search