Thread poster: Marco Dib
Marco Dib
Marco Dib
Brazil
Local time: 19:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 4, 2008

I have a professional and a freelance version of Trados operating in a LAN.
Now I'm supposed to share a TM. But, how can I do this?

Is it the same as with WordFast?

when i go to: Workbench>File>Connect>Intranet it requires a TM server name, then, what shall I do? Only select the computer where the tm are?

Please, I need some help, I don't know how to share a TM!

fdais
fdais
Local time: 16:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sharing a TM Sep 4, 2008

Open Trados Workbench, open your TM. Then, click on File and then Export. Done!
Just make sure you know where you saved it

Lietta Warren-Granato
Lietta Warren-Granato  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:48
Italian to English
+ ...
really???? Sep 4, 2008

One of my clients has asked me for the TM of a certain job: the assignment required a translation + its TM, and I have sent the TM via e-mail, as an attachment.
Was that wrong?

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 17:48
Spanish to French
+ ...
Nothing wrong Sep 5, 2008

Lietta Warren-Granato wrote:

One of my clients has asked me for the TM of a certain job: the assignment required a translation + its TM, and I have sent the TM via e-mail, as an attachment.
Was that wrong?

It is alright to do that. The only caveat is that you need to be sure that your client has the same TRADOS version. One of the advantage of exporting though is that you only deal with one file that is much lighter than the TM files.

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 17:48
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
It seems that sending TMs is is not the point under discussion Sep 5, 2008

Marco Dib:

I use TRADOS now and then, because is well far to be my favorite tool. Surely you will find a TRADOS expert who will complement my answer.

You don't state what your versions are. My understanding is:

*TRADOS won't allow you to have two or more PCs, even with different licenses, running the Freelance Edition in the same LAN network at the same time.

*TWB On-line Help says:

"The Freelance version of Translator’s Workbenc
... See more
Marco Dib:

I use TRADOS now and then, because is well far to be my favorite tool. Surely you will find a TRADOS expert who will complement my answer.

You don't state what your versions are. My understanding is:

*TRADOS won't allow you to have two or more PCs, even with different licenses, running the Freelance Edition in the same LAN network at the same time.

*TWB On-line Help says:

"The Freelance version of Translator’s Workbench does not support intranet connections to TM Server. TM Server can only be accessed using the Internet (TM Anywhere) connection type."

*For being able to share TMs within your LAn, you would need to have a different, and of course expensiver, version of SDL TRADOS: SDL Trados TM Server, SDL GXT, SDL TeamWorks. ..

Above seems to be the SDL TRADOS approach.

The WordFast approach, that you seem to have tested already, is that the TM sharing facility is included in the basic program and has no practical limitation.

Quite a difference.....
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to Share a TM?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »