Rafal Piasta
Rafal Piasta  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:57
English to Polish
+ ...
Sep 12, 2008

Hello,
I need some help with TRADOS or/and WORD software. When I translate a Word document using TRADOS 7 Freelance i.e. from English into Polish I need to save the target text in a *.doc file in such way that I could view both versions (English-source and Polish-target). Unfortunately when I open a target translated file in Word (Word 2007 but I save it as *.doc file-Word 2003 format) I have it only in a target translated text (Polish). There is no English version possible to view when sw
... See more
Hello,
I need some help with TRADOS or/and WORD software. When I translate a Word document using TRADOS 7 Freelance i.e. from English into Polish I need to save the target text in a *.doc file in such way that I could view both versions (English-source and Polish-target). Unfortunately when I open a target translated file in Word (Word 2007 but I save it as *.doc file-Word 2003 format) I have it only in a target translated text (Polish). There is no English version possible to view when switching on an enter mark in Word. Switching enter mark in Word doesn't help. The text is only viewed as target. Can anybody help me, please
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Try this... Sep 12, 2008

Hello Rafał,

Once you have translated a segment in word, the source language will become hidden text. To view the hidden source text, please follow these instructions:

Press Ctrl + Shift + 8 to view all formatting marks, including hidden text.

Alternatively, if you only wish to view the hidden text and not all formatting marks:

1. Open Word
2. Go to Tools -> Options -> Select the View tab
3. Under the Formatting Marks section, sele
... See more
Hello Rafał,

Once you have translated a segment in word, the source language will become hidden text. To view the hidden source text, please follow these instructions:

Press Ctrl + Shift + 8 to view all formatting marks, including hidden text.

Alternatively, if you only wish to view the hidden text and not all formatting marks:

1. Open Word
2. Go to Tools -> Options -> Select the View tab
3. Under the Formatting Marks section, select the Hidden Text option and leave all other boxes unticked.
4. Press OK to accept all changes.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

[Edited at 2008-09-12 09:35]
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Incompatible versions! Sep 12, 2008

Rafał Piasta wrote:
I need some help with TRADOS or/and WORD software. When I translate a Word document using TRADOS 7 Freelance i.e. from English into Polish I need to save the target text in a *.doc file in such way that I could view both versions (English-source and Polish-target). Unfortunately when I open a target translated file in Word (Word 2007 but I save it as *.doc file-Word 2003 format) I have it only in a target translated text (Polish). There is no English version possible to view when switching on an enter mark in Word. Switching enter mark in Word doesn't help. The text is only viewed as target. Can anybody help me, please

Hi Rafal,

Let me try to understand what you want:

You would like to display the uncleaned DOC after translation? Normally, both surce and target are visible if you show hidden characters - BEFORE you clean up. If you say that you "saved the target text" the source segments are removed by design. This is not a problem. You should simply save the DOC for delivery, NOT clean it or save as target.

My other concern: you say you have Trados 7.0, working in Word 2007. These versions are not compatible! 7.0 was released way before Office 2007 came out, so it's not supported. This is an obvious source for problems...

You should either downgrade Office, or upgrade Trados!

/J

Rafal Piasta
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is no hidden text Sep 12, 2008

There is no hidden text when I press Ctrl + Shift + 8 to view all formatting marks, including hidden text. I can see the text with marks or without the marks, only!
I think that something should be setup in TRADOS not to clean the source text from target *.doc file

Rafal Piasta
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
When I save translation in TRADOS Sep 12, 2008

When I save translation in TRADOS using save as I have the only option of "Save as - Microsoft Word (Target Only)(*.doc *.dot)". May be I should have another option of saving *.doc. But I am not sure if I am right

Rafal Piasta
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Texts which I receive for proofreading are billingual in Word *.doc Sep 12, 2008

Texts which I receive for proofreading are billingual in Word *.doc. so I think that WORD 2007 is ok. However I identify a problem with Trados 7 freelance which I use because all my *.doc translations are monolingual in a target *.doc file. Please discuss my issue to help me. Does a compatibility of OFFICE 2007 and TRADOS 7 Freelance have any influance in such case?

Rafal Piasta
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But I do not use *.docx file format only *.doc Sep 12, 2008

My other concern: you say you have Trados 7.0, working in Word 2007. These versions are not compatible! 7.0 was released way before Office 2007 came out, so it's not supported. This is an obvious source for problems...

But dear J/ I do not use *.docx file format only *.doc. *.docx is not supported by TRADOS 7 Freelance and that is the differece. But when I use *.doc everything should be ok, shoudn't be?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Try Preview... Sep 12, 2008

Hello Rafał,

I understand that you are translating a file using TagEditor (Trados 7), saving the target as .doc and then wishing to view the source and target segments together in Word 2007.

This can not be done using the above method. When you choose "Save Target As" the whole file is cleaned up leaving only the target translation. If you would like to preview both the source and target documents then you can use the Preview function in TagEditor:

1. Open
... See more
Hello Rafał,

I understand that you are translating a file using TagEditor (Trados 7), saving the target as .doc and then wishing to view the source and target segments together in Word 2007.

This can not be done using the above method. When you choose "Save Target As" the whole file is cleaned up leaving only the target translation. If you would like to preview both the source and target documents then you can use the Preview function in TagEditor:

1. Open the original document in TagEditor
2. Retranslate the file using the Translate to Fuzzy function
3. Once translated, go to View -> Preview Mode and select Bilingual
4. You will now have two Word documents open, one source and one target.

The only other option would be to translate the document in Word 2007 and turn on hidden text to view the source segments, which would require an upgrade to SDL Trados 2007.

I hope this is the information you are looking for.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:57
English to French
+ ...
Why do you want bilingual files? Sep 12, 2008

If you want to get bilingual Word files only so you can see source and target text side by side, then you may want to use WinAlign to align your source document with your translated target document. Then, you will get to see both side by side, segment by segment. However, this aligned display can't be printed.

If you need bilingual Word files to send to your client because they need it for some reason, then it is best to explain to your client that this can't be done with TagEditor
... See more
If you want to get bilingual Word files only so you can see source and target text side by side, then you may want to use WinAlign to align your source document with your translated target document. Then, you will get to see both side by side, segment by segment. However, this aligned display can't be printed.

If you need bilingual Word files to send to your client because they need it for some reason, then it is best to explain to your client that this can't be done with TagEditor and that you will have to use Word as your editing environment to produce such bilingual files.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need Word *.doc file billingual

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »