I need help with Segmentation Rules > Tabulation
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:09
Spanish
+ ...
Sep 15, 2008

Yet another question. I have some paragraphs with tabulation marks, followed by only one word in some instances:

^^^^C.[tabulation mark]Paper

And TagEditor is reading the whole paragraph as one segment. So I have to manually break the segment. I applied several combination but I can't find anything on the manual. Which settings should I apply to the segmentation rules?

Thanks.

Claudia

Direct link Reply with quote

RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
Either a macro or make it hidden in Word Sep 16, 2008

Hi Claudia,

My Trados skill is soooooo rusty because I'm a DV convert, but I used to be able to write a macro for preprocessing a Word doc. If I understand your wish correctly, you want to leave

^^^^A.^t
^^^^B.^t
^^^^C.^t

untranslated. If you have to translate "C.", then this doesn't work. Just ignore this message.

One way is to run a Word macro to apply a style - the snippet might look like:

AddTagStyles
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles("tw4winExternal")
With Selection.Find
.Text = "^^^^?.^t"
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindAsk
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchKashida = False
.MatchDiacritics = False
.MatchAlefHamza = False
.MatchControl = False
.MatchByte = False
.CorrectHangulEndings = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchFuzzy = False
.MatchWildcards = True
End With

This alone doesn't work, and so if you would like to try a macro method, someone with a good knowledge of VB grammar needs to finish it up (sorry, my VB skill is diminishing....)

Or, if you run Find&Replace and make "^^^^?.^t" hidden, then TagEditor might not pick it up. This is how I do with DejaVu.

Good Luck!
Rie

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Rie Sep 16, 2008

I really appreciate your effort with the Macro, but unfortunately it didn't work. It seems that Word can't read the ^ symbols when they're next to each other. I had tried to do a Search & Replace but then Word ignored some of the ^ symbols. The same thing happened when I ran your Macro; I got an error message because Word couldn't find '^^^^?.^t'.

RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
to serach ^^^^: Sep 16, 2008

Hi Claudia

n Find string field, Type ^^^^^^^^ (double the number of ^), because ^ is considered as an escape character, as in ^t (tab) and ^p (new line). Don't tick Use wild card. see how it works!

Rie

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It kinda worked Sep 16, 2008

Thanks, yup, that did it. But then there's the TagEditor problem; TagEditor doesn't automatically translate the tags. So the end result turned up to be the same.

Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need help with Segmentation Rules > Tabulation

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search