Thread poster: Premier Focus

Premier Focus  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:49
German to English
+ ...
Sep 16, 2008

Good morning everyone!

Getting started with the SDL Trados Synergy package I've come to question the number of project folders and files that Trados saves for every project.

After a small 150 word translation I end up with 5 folders, containing a total of 36 files!!!

880 kb later I have to question whether or not it is necessary to have the folder "filters" and "reports" saved with every individual project. By the end of the year you end up with Megabytes of unnecessary files.

There certainly must be a way which allows me to specify which files it saves and I just haven't found out where I can do so...?!

Maybe this might also be the time to ask if there is a certain folder structure that works best for the seasoned Trados user? I figure that it would be best to save all these files within the client folder itself, rather than save them under the default folder within Trados, but I may be wrong?

Your insights are much appreciated. Thank you kindly for taking the time to reply!

Kerstin

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:49
Spanish
+ ...
TO3000 Sep 16, 2008

Hi Kerstin,

I gave Synergy a try and dropped it after a very frustrating week. In my humble opinion, Synergy is as user-friendly as Trados and Multiterm are.

Since I have Translation Office 3000, I let it organize all my files and I use it as my main project interface.

When a new project is added to TO3000, it automatically creates a set of folders. The folders created are user-customizable, which is great for people like me. I took a screenshot of a project I'm working on right now. The project has 11 files to translate, so I created 11 jobs for that project. I took a screen-shot of my folder structure:

I can use TO3000 to quickly access any project-related file I might need and I only save the files I know I will need. Additionally the Jobs tabs allows me to track the status of each job so I know I'm right on schedule. On the Main tab, I keep all the information about the project (notes, updates, comments, etc.).

I know it's not an answer about Synergy, but I think TO3000 is a much better tool.

[Edited at 2008-09-16 16:04]

[Edited at 2008-09-16 16:05]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
That's right, Claudia Sep 16, 2008

I do the same thing Claudia does, except that I dump all the files belonging to the same project into a single job in TO3000 (and I am still using version 7, which still does the job nicely).

Besides that, I believe that if you want to avoid having too many unnecessary files, the key is version management. Therefore, I combine the use of TO3000 with the use of version management software. I create the job in TO, add all the files to the job folders, and then send the files I need to work on (translatables, not the reference and administrative files) to my version management program, and that's where I open it from. So, every time I work on the same file and save it into the version management program, a new, numbered version is created. I therefore get dozens of copies for the same document. In case something goes wrong, I can time-travel back to the appropriate version and take it from there. However, once I am finished with a job, I finalize it, which means that all versions except the last one are deleted. The way I'm organized, this means I end up with a source file, a bilingual file and a cleaned target file. No more mess.

If you are interested in version management, here's a free program you can use. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it is very easy to use, and is even handy for managing projects. Hint: if you get the professional version, which does cost a few hundred bucks, you can set up the software so that several users can check documents in and out and your users can even access it through a Web interface. Perfect for an agency setting and much more efficient than an FTP server.

FileSphere Personal is the free version - the only function missing, other than collaboration, is pickup folders (read the introduction to know what these are). For information on FileSphere software, visit http://www.filesphere.com/

If you combine TO3000 and FileSphere, you will always be on top of things and will not clutter your hard drive.

All the best!

[Edited at 2008-09-16 16:16]

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:49
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Project folder organization Sep 16, 2008

There are a few ideas regarding project folder organization here:

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/1583/

Premier Focus  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Organization within Trados Sep 16, 2008

Thank you for everybody's feedback thus far! I'll be sure to look into the other suggestions made, even if it's outside of the realm of Trados.

If anyone is working with Trados right now and has any tips on how to deal with the excess files, I'd be interested in their feedback as well!

Maybe I should try to delete the "filter" and "reports" folder and see what happens? Those are mostly the two folders that I have a quarrel with.

Thank you!!!

Kerstin

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
This may be useful Sep 16, 2008

Whether you organize your files using TO3000 or not, the structure I use is the following:

Work folder
. . Client A
. . Client B
. . . . Job A
. . . . Job B
. . . . . . Source: Source files for safekeepeing
. . . . . . Target: Final target files (bilingual file and cleaned file)
. . . . . . Process: All versions inbetween the original source file and the final bilingual file
. . . . . . Reference: Glossaries, reference documents provided by the client, etc.
. . . . . . Tools: TMs, TDBs, XBench project files
. . . . . . Administration: PO, contract, Trados wordcount, etc., and later the invoice and the payment record as needed
. . . . Job C
. . Client C
. . Client D

Once you are done with the job and you are past your after-sale service period (two weeks in my case), you can safely delete all but the Source, Target and Administration folders. Of course, you can also keep the content of the Tools folder unless your NDA prevents you from doing that - but I would then move those files to their permanent location, perhaps into the directory where you keep all your TMs and TDBs.

[Edited at 2008-09-16 18:51]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:49
English to German
+ ...
Don't use Synergy for small projects Sep 16, 2008

Hi Kerstin,
I only use Synergy for major, complex projects - remember you can start Workbench, TagEditor etc. directly, without having to go through Synergy.

HTH, Ralf

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
I agree with Ralf Sep 16, 2008

Hi! I would not go for that kind of a solution, instead limit to a much smaller scale. I am sure there is some scope to assess what is going on in your project. Infact, many things can be done with or without Trados or synergy stuff. BR Brandis

[Edited at 2008-09-16 19:08]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Don't use Synergy at all Sep 17, 2008

This may be just a matter of opinion but I hate applications that want to do anything for you as this is exactly where you start losing control of things and that's exactly what Synergy does.
I can only recommend that you organize your files and folders manually and forget about Synergy unless you are sent a translation project as a Synergy package.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Synergy? What for? Sep 17, 2008

I don't think there is a point in a freelancer using sw like synergy. An agency, yes. A lone freelancer, no. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I just make my own folder structure, much like Viktoria's. Only I don't delete anything. You never know when a bilingual file will come in handy and HDs come in pretty large sizes these days...
It's pretty safe to say that as I keep working and accumulating material, storage prices will drop such that the price for HD space for my total work data will never climb over $10:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados project folders and files - organization

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search