Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Trados 2008 refuses to analyse Word file saying there are tracked changes, whereas there are none
Thread poster: ViktoriaG

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:51
English to Czech
+ ...
That's the point Nov 21, 2008

Peter Winch wrote:
Looks like you have to be careful about your source documents.

Hi Peter, you've said it! Most problems translators are facing are a result of poor preparation of documents by our clients. They're still using Word the same way as they were used to doing in 1992. It's almost 2009!

Mariëtte van Drunen
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks! Apr 28, 2011

Victoria's workaround for older versions of Trados worked for me too!

Thanks Victoria

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 21:51
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Same problem with Studio 2009, latest build Apr 28, 2011

This has happened to me even with the latest build of Studio 2009 Freelance. SDL employees of supporters always try to blame the client for working with a 'badly formatted' Word file (has also happened on multiple occasions in this forum), but they need to understand that most big companies produce Word files for translation that are compilations of several documents written by several people in different geographic locations, with each of those files being formatted in a different way, etc. Thi... See more
This has happened to me even with the latest build of Studio 2009 Freelance. SDL employees of supporters always try to blame the client for working with a 'badly formatted' Word file (has also happened on multiple occasions in this forum), but they need to understand that most big companies produce Word files for translation that are compilations of several documents written by several people in different geographic locations, with each of those files being formatted in a different way, etc. This is the case for example with financial reports (individual and consolidated) for a group of companies owned by a single entity.

Trados needs to be more robust, because - as a Freelancer - I cannot turn to the client and reprimand it for the quality of their Word file, neither can I prolong the deadline, saying that Trados would not work with it, because there are unaccepted changes, etc. Even if I explain the situation, the client opens the file and can see that there are no such changes to be accepted, end of conversation. Then the file will go to another translator - no one wants complications, difficult translators complaining about non-existent problems and software that costs hundreds or thousands of EUR and cannot open a Word document for translation.

If SDL knows where the problem is, let them automate the process and not put a tick box in the seventh sub-menu well hidden in Options.

[Edited at 2011-04-28 13:26 GMT]
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Neither Trados nor Word are perfect... Apr 28, 2011

Neither Trados nor Word are perfect...

What I am failing to grasp is why we still accept to shell out money for expensively priced licences (neither Trados nor Word are "cheap") when cheaper or even free software can process 90% of the work without a murmur and without annoying error messages.

But it seems that, as in other sectors, software publishers also try to sell us what I'd call a professional image...

Andrea Melletat
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
This just saved me in a 1010 pages document. Thank you so much. May 16, 2011

Carsten Behrend wrote:

Ralf Lemster wrote:

solution, which worked for me.

HTH, Ralf

This solution produces a timeout and no solution could be found there anymore. Please, Ralf, share you knowledge here again.

BTW: I encountered the same problem some days ago. This is, what I did to workaround.
In menu 'Start', select 'Start', 'Programs', 'SDL International', 'SDL Trados 2007 Freelance', 'Trados', 'Filters', 'Filter Settings'. In the left column, find Word 2000-2003 and the entry 'Non accepted or rejected changes'. Select the entry and in the result pane set the check in 'Process documents with non accepted or rejected changes'.

[Edited at 2008-09-19 10:31]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2008 refuses to analyse Word file saying there are tracked changes, whereas there are none

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search