SDL Trados Workbench and Context TM 2007 - any known file number limitation?
Thread poster: xxxanllima74
xxxanllima74
English
Sep 19, 2008

hello,

I am trying to run an analysis on 6,000 xml files but, every time I try to add all the files to workbench (tools/analyse/add), it gives error 50009 - file not found.

A similar problem happens when I am trying to create the ini for these 6,000 files: it says there are no tags to be added.

However, in both cases, if I do in batches (like choose just a hundreds of files) it works: I get the files added to the analysis or get the tag added to the ini.

From what I am experiencing, Trados does not support more than a couple of hundred of files at a time. Does anyone know any workaround so I can work on the entire file set instead of breaking it down into smaller batches?

Thanks, Andréa

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-09-19 08:01]

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 05:15
German
+ ...
Glue Sep 19, 2008

Have you tried gluing them first, with the little tool in the Trados Start menu group? You'll want to do that anyway, as I doubt any translator will want to work with 6,000 files individually. You can even set a limit on the number of XML files per glued file so that multiple "volumes" are created automatically.

HTH,
Benjamin

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
or merge Sep 19, 2008

Xml is just txt at heart so they can be merged with the command line utility in windows if you want to.
Start menu/run, type cmd, in the window that opens navigate to the folder with the cd command (eg cd documents/work/xmlstotranslate), then type copy *.xml newfile.xml
newfile.xml will be created containing all the text from the original files. Original files will be left intact. Obviously you can mix it up, say "copy a*.xml a.xml" to get files with a name starting with a into a file etc.

Beats doing the analysis in 60 instalments.

I take no responsibility for the end result being a fully usable xml. Encoding and line break troubles are not out of the question but it should be fine for analysis.

[Edited at 2008-09-19 11:06]

xxxanllima74
English
TOPIC STARTER
Glue Tool Sep 19, 2008

Thanks! I just have a problem with the Glue tool: it asks for an ini which I don't have.

I am having issues in creating the ini due to the amount of files and, for me to be able to have the tool running properly, I have to create an ini, first.

After the ini is created and I manage to glue the files, I just run a Trados analysis, as usual, in the master file?

Thanks again,
Andréa

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
INI Sep 19, 2008

anllima74 wrote:

Thanks! I just have a problem with the Glue tool: it asks for an ini which I don't have.

I am having issues in creating the ini due to the amount of files and, for me to be able to have the tool running properly, I have to create an ini, first.

I understand, but can't your client provide you with a DTD or schema file?

I presume you're familiar with the procedure for creating a proper INI as such?

I'm not in the office right now, so I can't fiddle around with this, but have you tested whether the Tag Settings Wizard accepts multiple files? If not, maybe ingen2.exe does. That's a little utility for creating INI files from XML files that used to be distributed by Trados. Maybe that supports multiple files. You may have to ask around here for it, though, it is no longer available directly from SDL.

After the ini is created and I manage to glue the files, I just run a Trados analysis, as usual, in the master file?

Yep. Gives you the exact same result.

xxxanllima74
English
TOPIC STARTER
Glue tool: the context TM hangs Sep 23, 2008

Thanks to all of you who responded. I used the Glue tool but Context TM hanged midways and did not complete the full analysis.

Also, with the Glued files, I cannot create an ini file (since it creates a ttx file rather than an xml file) and this is the part that is really blocking me, right now.

Anyways, if you have any other ideas, it would be welcome. I am working with my engineer to find a workaround for this particular limitation of Trados.

Thanks again,
Andréa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Workbench and Context TM 2007 - any known file number limitation?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search