Phil and Kanokwan Stevens
Phil and Kanokwan Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:34
Member (2007)
Thai to English
+ ...
Sep 21, 2008

Hi,

I'm having problems translating Thai texts with TRADOS Freelance 2007 Translator's Workbench or TagEditor. I've tried both programs wth Indonesian, and they work fine. It seems the problem must be with Thai language - perhaps something to do with the font or script.

In Workbench, when I set the cursor at the beginning of the text in Word and click 'Open/Get' to get a translation from the TM, it just gives me a {} and says 'Previous request not yet finished'. In Tag
... See more
Hi,

I'm having problems translating Thai texts with TRADOS Freelance 2007 Translator's Workbench or TagEditor. I've tried both programs wth Indonesian, and they work fine. It seems the problem must be with Thai language - perhaps something to do with the font or script.

In Workbench, when I set the cursor at the beginning of the text in Word and click 'Open/Get' to get a translation from the TM, it just gives me a {} and says 'Previous request not yet finished'. In TagEditor it says '(80001): Translator's Workbench Error: The server threw an exception.' Like I said, both progams work with Indonesian, so I guess it must be something to do with Thai script.

Does anyone have an answer for this problem?
Collapse

Michael Sloggett
Michael Sloggett  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:34
Thai to English
I've been able to open Thai segments with Trados... Sep 21, 2008

Just in case you're wondering whether Thai + Trados ever works, I thought I'd write and let you know that I've had no problem opening and translating Thai texts. I've used both TRADOS Freelance 2007 and Trados Workbench/Tag Editor/Multiterm Version 7. In my case, I was using them on WindowsXP (Thai) and with MS Office (Thai).

On the other hand, Trados does not work nearly as well as I would hope with Thai source documents, mainly because it cannot recognise known terms in a Thai sen
... See more
Just in case you're wondering whether Thai + Trados ever works, I thought I'd write and let you know that I've had no problem opening and translating Thai texts. I've used both TRADOS Freelance 2007 and Trados Workbench/Tag Editor/Multiterm Version 7. In my case, I was using them on WindowsXP (Thai) and with MS Office (Thai).

On the other hand, Trados does not work nearly as well as I would hope with Thai source documents, mainly because it cannot recognise known terms in a Thai sentence (due to the lack of spaces). That means that you either have to pre-segment the text into words (problematic on its own) or manually look up terms (which can slow you down significantly).
On top of that, you of course also need to manually set most segments due to the lack of punctuation in Thai.

Hopefully someone else can assist with your technical problem. I've simply never encountered anything like that before with Trados.

All the best,

Michael Sloggett
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 03:34
English to Thai
+ ...
Thai in Trados Sep 21, 2008

I am using Thai>En, JP, Fr, Ge, It etc. translation with Trados from version 3 with a number of restrictions.
1. In Workbench, you need special segmentation rule for Thai: Thai has no punctuation mark (full stop or '.'). Trados Knowledge has explanation for this. It is basically segmenting by space only!
2. Many agencies demand translation EN, FR etc. > TH with Word+Workbench. This is generally a disaster since Thai fonts and formats are badly changed without control. TH>EN, FR etc.
... See more
I am using Thai>En, JP, Fr, Ge, It etc. translation with Trados from version 3 with a number of restrictions.
1. In Workbench, you need special segmentation rule for Thai: Thai has no punctuation mark (full stop or '.'). Trados Knowledge has explanation for this. It is basically segmenting by space only!
2. Many agencies demand translation EN, FR etc. > TH with Word+Workbench. This is generally a disaster since Thai fonts and formats are badly changed without control. TH>EN, FR etc. translation in Word+Workbench has rare frequencies of this problem. It is better to do EN > TH translation in TagEditor.
3. I usually use TagEditor or other CATs to do TH>EN, FR etc. translation due to better handling of Thai.
4. I frequently reorganize TM (Workbench) for better concordance search of Thai words. By the way, automatic segment lookup in Workbench is not much helpful unless 100% or near 100% match exists. I need to do manual concordance search in Workbench [using Alt+Up arrow].
5. Try saving Thai document as Unicode if you can before the translation. If your error persists [in particular for *.doc document], save as *.rtf and open/save as *.doc again to proceed further.
6. If i were forced to do TH translation, I use SDLX instead of Trados. It is easier to handle Thai.
7. Indonesian, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Japanese etc. are similar to European languages with regard to scripts. Spaces and punctuation marks make it easier to handle than Thai.

Regards,
Soonthon L.
Collapse

Phil and Kanokwan Stevens
Phil and Kanokwan Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:34
Member (2007)
Thai to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks to Michael and Khun Soonthon! Sep 21, 2008

I'll try the special segmentation rule and saving as Unicode before translation, hopefully Workbench will stop giving me {} and throwing 'exceptions'!

Michael Sloggett
Michael Sloggett  Identity Verified
Australia
Thai to English
Swordfish: Thai term recognition works! Oct 11, 2008

Hi all,

I thought you may be interested to know that the latest version of Swordfish now supports Thai term recognition, thanks to some excellent upgrades by its developer. I raised the problem of Thai term recognition with Rodolfo recently, and he had it working within a week or so. If only all TM software developers were as responsive.

Concordance also seems to work well for Thai, and the software is very translator-friendly overall.

You can segment Thai
... See more
Hi all,

I thought you may be interested to know that the latest version of Swordfish now supports Thai term recognition, thanks to some excellent upgrades by its developer. I raised the problem of Thai term recognition with Rodolfo recently, and he had it working within a week or so. If only all TM software developers were as responsive.

Concordance also seems to work well for Thai, and the software is very translator-friendly overall.

You can segment Thai text in Swordfish either by manually splitting the text at segment ends or by stopping at spaces and then expanding segments as required. For the latter approach, you'll need to add some segmentation rules for Thai. I have written some rules in SRX (segmentation rules exchange) format which I am happy to share.

I have no affiliation with Swordfish -- simply posting to give credit to Rodolfo for a good program and excellent responsiveness to customer comments/wishes.

all the best
Collapse

Peter Ross
Peter Ross  Identity Verified
Australia
Thai to English
+ ...
Best Current CAT for TH>EN Sep 1, 2010

Hi all

I'm a Thai to English translator and would like to get into using CAT.

Has anyone got any updated comments about the strong or weak points of various versions of Trados, SDLX, Swordfish, or personal preferences? Is the segmentation problem still an issue?

I'd like to be able to integrate the translations I've done (in MSWord) into a database if possible. I'm also largely working with extended texts (20,000 words up).

Thanks for sharing y
... See more
Hi all

I'm a Thai to English translator and would like to get into using CAT.

Has anyone got any updated comments about the strong or weak points of various versions of Trados, SDLX, Swordfish, or personal preferences? Is the segmentation problem still an issue?

I'd like to be able to integrate the translations I've done (in MSWord) into a database if possible. I'm also largely working with extended texts (20,000 words up).

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Peter
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 03:34
English to Thai
+ ...
WordFast Classic Sep 2, 2010

I mainly use WordFast Classic for Thai as the source language for various file formats: doc, html, ppt, xls, txt, etc. Reason: I can control segmentation manually in each paragraph. I also use termbase recognition tool conveniently. WFP also does well to split+join segments and termbase reading. It is still hopeless for auto-translate function. In addition, WFC/WFP never convert the source formats as I experienced in Trados etc. Its TM can be placed in database table quickly. You may try SDLX/Tr... See more
I mainly use WordFast Classic for Thai as the source language for various file formats: doc, html, ppt, xls, txt, etc. Reason: I can control segmentation manually in each paragraph. I also use termbase recognition tool conveniently. WFP also does well to split+join segments and termbase reading. It is still hopeless for auto-translate function. In addition, WFC/WFP never convert the source formats as I experienced in Trados etc. Its TM can be placed in database table quickly. You may try SDLX/Trados 2009 to gain access to the strong points for Thai.

Basically, you need to seek any CAT tools that enable the segment splitting and joint freely since Thai uses no sentence-ending full stop mark.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

[Edited at 2010-09-03 00:51 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to use Translator's Workbench or TagEditor with Thai language

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »