https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/116447-how_can_i_set_a_specific_ini_file_for_the_analyse_function_in_trados.html

How can I set a specific ini file for the Analyse function in Trados?
Thread poster: Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:26
English to German
+ ...
Sep 26, 2008

Hi all,

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong and I hope someone will be able to point me into the right direction.

SDL Trados 2007 (Version 8.2.0.835)

AFAIK it should be possible to set a specific ini file that will be used when I run the Analyse function on the files I need to translate (html files). I have received an ini file from my client, which I want to use.

From what I have read in the manual, I need to click Options > Translation Me
... See more
Hi all,

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong and I hope someone will be able to point me into the right direction.

SDL Trados 2007 (Version 8.2.0.835)

AFAIK it should be possible to set a specific ini file that will be used when I run the Analyse function on the files I need to translate (html files). I have received an ini file from my client, which I want to use.

From what I have read in the manual, I need to click Options > Translation Memory Options in the Analyse Files dialog and then click the Tag Settings button under Tag settings files. When I do this, the Tag Settings Manager is displayed and I can select the correct ini file there. However, no matter how often I try to select it (I have also tried to set it to Default, which didn't help either), the log file always states that the standard ini file (i.e. HTML4.ini from the SDL Trados installation folder) and not the ini file I selected was used to analyse the files.

What am I doing wrong? I am grateful for any hint on this.

Thanks and regards,
Claudia

PS: Talking about the Tag Settings Manager, would anybody know if there is any way to change the order in which the ini files are displayed except for deleting them an re-opening them in the order that I prefer?
Collapse

Kobe Vander Beken
Kobe Vander Beken  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:26
English to Dutch
+ ...
Delete al other ini files Sep 26, 2008

Hello Claudia,

maybe you already tried this, but maybe you could delete all other ini files in the Tag settings window, and then you select the correct ini file.
Sometimes similar ini files interfere. the only way to prevent this from happening (as far as I know) is deleting them.

Hope it helps.

Kobe

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:26
Swedish to English
+ ...
Two suggestions Sep 26, 2008

I do not know the answer, so this is just a guess. But HTML is after all a defined standard, so I am a bit surprised that your customer has sent a customised INI file. If they were XML files I could understand, but not for HTML (a defined subset of XML).

It may be that Trados knows this, and will therefore will not allow you to select a different INI file. Why not ask your customer if there is a reason for a specific INI file. Meanwhile, try the Trados one and see what happens. If y
... See more
I do not know the answer, so this is just a guess. But HTML is after all a defined standard, so I am a bit surprised that your customer has sent a customised INI file. If they were XML files I could understand, but not for HTML (a defined subset of XML).

It may be that Trados knows this, and will therefore will not allow you to select a different INI file. Why not ask your customer if there is a reason for a specific INI file. Meanwhile, try the Trados one and see what happens. If your HTML file conforms to the standard, it should all work fine.
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Delete from the list, yes, but... Sep 26, 2008

...you don't have to delete them all. Just remove any settings files from the list that have the same root element as the one you're trying to use.

HTH,
Benjamin

P.S.: There are variations in the HTML format - the default file will usually do fine, but sometimes customizations make sense, e.g. for the translation of certain attributes.

[Edited at 2008-09-26 09:22]

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Deleting the others does the trick - thanks! Sep 26, 2008

I have deleted all ini files with the same root element from the list and now everything seems to work the way it should. - Thanks for suggesting this, Kobe and Benjamin.

@Peter: I know that HTML is a defined standard and I guess I should have mentioned in my original post that I was asking this question for a specific reason. The client ini contains quite a few customizations and using the standard HTML ini resulted in a completely wrong and rather useless word count.

... See more
I have deleted all ini files with the same root element from the list and now everything seems to work the way it should. - Thanks for suggesting this, Kobe and Benjamin.

@Peter: I know that HTML is a defined standard and I guess I should have mentioned in my original post that I was asking this question for a specific reason. The client ini contains quite a few customizations and using the standard HTML ini resulted in a completely wrong and rather useless word count.

Thanks again, everyone.

Best regards,
Claudia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I set a specific ini file for the Analyse function in Trados?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »