SDLX vs WORKBENCH
Thread poster: Jacek Sierakowski

Jacek Sierakowski
Belgium
Local time: 11:50
English to French
+ ...
Sep 26, 2008

I am asked to choose between SDLX and WORKBENCH training when purchasing SDL Trados. Can somebody tell me the difference and give me an advise?
Thank you.
Jacek.

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:50
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Many factors Sep 26, 2008

A number of factors are related to use of Trados or SDLX. With popularity in global CAT tools, I feel that name of Trados is more quoted than name of SDLX.

For me [If I may select to use either Trados or SDLX], I prefer SDLX since:
1) It handles foreign languages better and smoothly e.g. Thai
2) It rarely crashes.
3) It rarely give me corrupted fonts, formats.
4) It is quicker to process for translation alignment, segment joint/splitting, preview, cleaning, unicode fonts, DTP files etc.
5) It contains more utilities e.g. editing of TM, conversion between Trados SDLX, Termbase, TM import file format.
6) However, Trados can work inside MS Word while SDLX cannot (I use Word indirectly to key into SDLX quicker and unse use of spell checking for various languages.).

Regards,
SL

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:50
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My advise Sep 26, 2008

Get trained in Trados and then train yourself in SDLX. Once you are familiar with Trados, SDLX is easier to use. If I had the option to choose a CAT tool for my work, I would definitely work with SDLX all the time.

Elías

Jacek Sierakowski
Belgium
Local time: 11:50
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 26, 2008

Thank you Soonthon and Elias.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX vs WORKBENCH

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search