SDL Edit: How do I use both an SDLX TM (Latin American ES) and Trados TM (Int. ES)?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:19
Spanish
+ ...
Sep 27, 2008

Hello,

I have to use SDL Edit to work on a project. I received the SDL TM (mbd) which is in Latin American Spanish and I have my own TM in Trados, which I want to use as a second TM (Lookup and Concordance). But the Trados TM is in International Spanish.

Is there a way to use both TM's without having to change one of the sub-languages? Or, is there ANY best way to deal with this kind of situation? Working with different sub-languages in either Trados, SDLX and/or Multiterm is always a huge hassle.

Thanks.

Claudia

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:19
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
SDLX utilities Sep 27, 2008

SDLX utilities contain language change function.
Export Trados TM into TMX. Import as (another) SDLX TM. Use the utility software to change into the same source-target language pair.
[Try configuring multiple TMs in SDLX first. It can be OK if you set as read only TM. If it is OK, no need to use the utility software.]

Regards,
Soonthon L.

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDLX utilities Sep 27, 2008

Thanks Soonthon,

You're right, the Maintenance tool can modify the languages, but I was hoping there was an easier way. I use three mammoth TMs as a reference only and modifying the languages in those large TMs takes forever. But that's probably the only way.

Have a happy weekend,

Claudia

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problems Sep 30, 2008

Thanks again Soonthon,

The problem is that the tmb contains more than one sub-languages and after TRYING to import each set of segments, I get a lost of corrupted characters. To make matters worse, after several hours applying changes (Search&Replace), SDL Maintenance crashes.

You'd think since both products are part of the same package, the developers would have figured out a way to make the process simpler, or less tedious--I'm not asking for a miracle.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Edit: How do I use both an SDLX TM (Latin American ES) and Trados TM (Int. ES)?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search