Upgrade from Trados 5.5 to Trados 2007 - TM import impossible
Thread poster: CarstenEilersen

CarstenEilersen
Denmark
Local time: 19:23
French to Danish
Sep 29, 2008

Hi there,

I just bought the SDL Trados 2007 version to replace my Trados 5.5.

All system requirements are met.
Operating system is Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3.
MS Word 2002, Service Pack 3.
More than 160 GB free disk space.

I did a txt export of my TMs and uninstalled version 5.5 before rebooting my computer.
I then bought and downloaded SDL Trados 2007 (SP2), installed and activated it with no problems and created new and empty TMs and attempted to import my TM .txt files.

SDL Trados 2007 starts to import the txt file (settings: large and reorganise) but stops responding after having imported about 10 per cent of the TM consisting of approx. 100 000 units.

Language pairs do match.

The strange thing is that in SDL Trados 2007 I can open and work with my version 5.5 TM but the software won't allow me neither to reorganise nor to export it.

Have any of you wise people encountered the above problem.......... and solved it?

I have searched this forum - apparently in vain.

TIA for your kind answers.

Carsten

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 20:23
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Possible solution Sep 29, 2008

Hi Carsten,

SDL once released a free tool called Trados2TMX. It was before acquisition of Trados, when Trados and SDL were two different companies. That free tool may help you.

Selcuk

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Split the file... Sep 29, 2008

CarstenEilersen wrote:

I did a txt export of my TMs and uninstalled version 5.5 before rebooting my computer.
I then bought and downloaded SDL Trados 2007 (SP2), installed and activated it with no problems and created new and empty TMs and attempted to import my TM .txt files.[/quote]
AFAIK, the Trados txt export is lossy, beware.

SDL Trados 2007 starts to import the txt file (settings: large and reorganise) but stops responding after having imported about 10 per cent of the TM consisting of approx. 100 000 units.

The strange thing is that in SDL Trados 2007 I can open and work with my version 5.5 TM

It's normal.

but the software won't allow me neither to reorganise nor to export it.

The options are grayed out?
You have a Professional version?

Have any of you wise people encountered the above problem.......... and solved it?

Try to split the file in several fragments, let's say 10.
Use a good text editor, e.g. Notepad++
Paste the headers from the first file in the other files.
Then import the files one by one.

If you experience problems with some of them, you may try to fix or convert the files using Olifant or similar tools.

Cheers
GG

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
File not available... Sep 29, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

SDL once released a free tool called Trados2TMX. It was before acquisition of Trados, when Trados and SDL were two different companies. That free tool may help you.

Officially, the file is no longer accessible.
After the Trados purchase, SDL has no longer interest to make easier the conversion of Trados files to TMX and provide a free tool for this purpose.

Try ApSic Xbench or Olifant.

Or import the file in SDLX (SDL Maintain) , then reexport as Trados or TMX.

Cheers
GG

CarstenEilersen
Denmark
French to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
Options not grayed out - Version is Freelance Sep 29, 2008

[quote]Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

CarstenEilersen wrote:

but the software won't allow me neither to reorganise nor to export it.

The options are grayed out?
You have a Professional version?

The options are not grayed out.
Version is Freelance.

Try to split the file in several fragments, let's say 10.
Use a good text editor, e.g. Notepad++
Paste the headers from the first file in the other files.
Then import the files one by one.

If you experience problems with some of them, you may try to fix or convert the files using Olifant or similar tools.

Will give it a try!

Cheers
GG

Thanks a lot for your input - I'll report on my attempt.
Carsten

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"...10 per cent of the TM consisting of approx. 100 000 units..." Sep 29, 2008

it's just a shot in the dark and my gut feeling, but I do remember one occasion, where the free physical space on HD (or rather absence of it) played a role. The reason was the work file being created by the Access Engine that could not proceed. And I am 70% sure it was NOT MultiTerm.

regards

Vito

CarstenEilersen
Denmark
French to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
HD physical space & split the file Sep 29, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

I do remember one occasion, where the free physical space on HD (or rather absence of it) played a role. The reason was the work file being created by the Access Engine that could not proceed. And I am 70% sure it was NOT MultiTerm.

regards

Vito

Hi Vito,

I'm not sure that physical nor RAM space is the problem but I think I'll reinstall my old Trados Freelance 5.5 on an other computer in order to access my old TMs and reorganise and export these as minor files to be imported in Trados 2007 thus trying what Grzegorz has suggested.

Thanks a lot to all of you.

Carsten

CarstenEilersen
Denmark
French to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
Splitting the file is THE solution Oct 1, 2008

CarstenEilersen wrote:

Vito Smolej wrote:

I do remember one occasion, where the free physical space on HD (or rather absence of it) played a role. The reason was the work file being created by the Access Engine that could not proceed. And I am 70% sure it was NOT MultiTerm.

regards

Vito

Hi Vito,

I'm not sure that physical nor RAM space is the problem but I think I'll reinstall my old Trados Freelance 5.5 on an other computer in order to access my old TMs and reorganise and export these as minor files to be imported in Trados 2007 thus trying what Grzegorz has suggested.

Thanks a lot to all of you.

Carsten

Hi Selcuk, Grzegorz, Vito and all other translators having this problem,

I installed my SDL Trados 2007 (Freelance) on a brand new computer, tried to import the TM files which did not solve the problem.
This new computer also had MultiTrans installed on it and importing the Trados 5.5 tmx files caused absolutely no problem.

Apparently, the problem is a somewhat corrupt database or the Trados import function can't handle txt files of 250 MB or more.
Eventually, I opted for exporting parts of my TMs, i.e. into a new and smaller file using date/year criteria. All files newer than 2003 are quite smal 1,5 MB to approx. 3 MB. The oldest files dating from 1999 - 2002 are huge so I exported these on a quarterly basis to reduce file size. A few of these smaller files were imported without problems but the others still cause Trados not to respond.
When I have the time, I'll export these files to make new files for each individual month to see if I can then import these files. If importing these files fails, I'll just forget about these translation units as my translation memory contents have now been restored to satisfactory level.

Many thanks again to all of you helping me solve this problem.

Best regards

Carsten

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade from Trados 5.5 to Trados 2007 - TM import impossible

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search