Can I preview in SDL Edit an InDesign file if I only have the .itd file?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:54
Spanish
+ ...
Sep 30, 2008

A client sent me an itd file created from a InDesign file. I'd like to convert the translation to InDesign, in order to proofread the document. But every time I try to preview the translation, I get the same error: Filter ID not recognized.

Is the conversion or preview still possible? I have SDL Edit 2007 SP2 7035.

Edit: Is it just my browser or all the text in proz looks tiny?

[Edited at 2008-09-30 01:28]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:54
English to Thai
+ ...
You need Indesign program on your PC Sep 30, 2008

1. To preview the file out of *.itd, you need the original application program on your PC.
[SDLX documentation gives information about this]
2. Your tiny webpage text size can be adjusted in your browser program.

Regards,
SL

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
InDesign Sep 30, 2008

Thank you Soonthon!

Camelia Manea
Camelia Manea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 19:54
English to Romanian
+ ...
What would be the original application program? Sep 30, 2008

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

1. To preview the file out of *.itd, you need the original application program on your PC.
[SDLX documentation gives information about this]

Hello Claudia and Soonthon!

I had the same problem with an *.itd file, when working with Tag Editor. I couldn't preview the translation. Is it not enough to have InDesign installed? I confess I didn't quite understand the message displayed by Trados.

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Install InDesign, then SDLX Sep 30, 2008

If you installed InDesign AFTER you installed SDLX, you need to uninstall and reinstall SDLX again, so the proper plug-in is copied onto the InDesign folder.

InDesign Filter Options Dialog Box

SDLX 2007 has filters for both InDesign CS and InDesign CS2. However, an InDesign filter is only installed if the InDesign application is already present on your computer when you install SDLX. Only the filter appropriate to the version of InDesign on your computer is installed. This means that:

* If you install InDesign after installing SDLX, you have to uninstall and then reinstall SDLX to get the InDesign filter.
* If you have the SDLX filter for InDesign CS installed and then upgrade to InDesign CS2, you have to uninstall and then reinstall SDLX to get the InDesign CS2 filter.

The SDLX InDesign filter installs a plug-in into the InDesign installation folder.

It's on the SDLX Projects User and Administrator Guide

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I preview in SDL Edit an InDesign file if I only have the .itd file?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »