Oksana Rozhko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:01
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 6, 2008

Hello everyone!

I try to save a PowerPoint presentation after the work with it in Tag Editor. The problem is that the fonts in the target document are completely different from those in the original file and I cannot change them through "Replace font".

I use TRADOS TagEditor 7.0.0.615 and PowerPoint 2003.

I would be very grateful for your advice.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Oksana

Direct link Reply with quote

Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Fonts Oct 6, 2008

Most positively the original document's fonts do not contain cyrillic symbols, so PowerPoint uses an arbitrary font to display them without changing the font names in the file. There are different solutions:
1. Use Windows default fonts (Arial, Times New Roman, Verdana, Tahoma...).
2. Use some Cyrillic-enabled fonts (does your customer have them?).
3. Tell the customer about the problem since they might be willing to use some corporate fonts in presentations and therefore they would need to purchase cyrillic versions.

Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cyrillic-enabled fonts Oct 6, 2008

If I type the text in the original presentation, without using TagEditor, the Russian text is normal. The fonts in the original are Cyrillic-enabled and the text is legible. But the looks of the target document is terrible.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:01
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What do you mean with "terrible look"? Oct 6, 2008

Oksana Rozhko wrote:

If I type the text in the original presentation, without using TagEditor, the Russian text is normal. The fonts in the original are Cyrillic-enabled and the text is legible. But the looks of the target document is terrible.

If the fonts are Cyrylic-enabled, then they are not changed after your work is finished. Thus the look of the document must be the same. I mean Times New Roman remains TNR, whatever characters are used.
Could you please precise what do you mean with terrible looking document or better put a screen shot of the file here?

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
TTF vs. OTF Oct 6, 2008

That's typically what happens when specialized TrueType fonts such as Helv Cyr are used instead of Unicode-enabled OpenType fonts such as Arial. The mapping of the individual glyphs to character codes is entirely different.

The good news is: Changing the font to an OTF after translation should solve the problem.

HTH,
Benjamin

Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
change of the font is not visible. Oct 6, 2008

Thank you for advice. But unfortunately it doesn't work.

The font of the translated text can't be changed, it remains the same after all possible manipulations. The name of the font changes, but the looks remains just as it was at the beginning.

Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem is rather with PPT Oct 6, 2008

Thanks everyone for your advice and commentaries. After several attempts to get the required file from TagEditor, I guess that the problem is with PPT.

The font changes after closing a normal-looking translated file with Cyrillic letters. When I open it for the second time, the font is different and unchangeable.

Best regards,
Oksana

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
The same problem/Not resolved yet Oct 6, 2008

Hi all,
I have the same problem with some of the Czech characters.
Say the source PPT uses Arial. I translate the PPT in TE and clean it up or save it as target (doesn't make any difference).
After cleanup, some of the characters are not Arial but Times New Roman and cannot be changed.

BTW, I'm using Trados 835 and MS Office 2003.

[Upraveno: 2008-10-06 16:24]

Shuilien
Russian to English
+ ...
no way to prevent, you can only fix Oct 20, 2008

This problem is related to a similar problem when Trados voluntarily replaces fonts in DOC files.

To my knowledge, no solution exists to prevent font conversions - as these are hardcoded in Trados, so they have nothing to do with any particular document templates or styles (!).

It is experimentally proven that TNR gets substituted by Trados even in situations when no styles or templates in the system contain any reference to this font.

To recover the PPT, I recommend either replacing all fonts (using Tools-Replace Fonts) with Arial Unicode MS after translation - as this one is a double-byte font, it will work and your codepoints will likely get fixed.

Another possible solution is to use PPTools to 'round-trip' the presentation so as to fix the fonts issue. (PPTools is an easily googled piece of freeware).

As noted above, hardcoded font transformations have been introduced in very early version of Trados (3.0 or earlier), and SDL/Trados hasn't been doing anytning about this extremely annoying problem so far.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
KB article Oct 21, 2008

The issue is in fact described and discussed in the Trados KB article http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/kb/article.aspx?aid=2196

[Upraveno: 2008-10-21 19:53]

Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot open the link Oct 24, 2008

Thanks for the link, but, unfortunately I cannot open it. Can you, please, specify the title of the article and I'll try to find it myself.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Correct link Oct 24, 2008

H Oksana,
sorry, the link got messed up. Here's the correct one: http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/kb/article.aspx?aid=2196

Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The same problem Oct 24, 2008

Hi Stanislav,
Maybe it's not my day This one doesn't work as well.

Oksana

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Link Oct 24, 2008

Maybe it's not my day either. Try this:
1. Go to your profile on translationzone.com
2. Go to My Support
3. Klick the SDL Trados Knowledge Base link
4. Once the KB opens, search it for the article No. 2196

Hope this will work.

Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados KB Oct 24, 2008

Stanislav, many thanks for this helpful information.

Oksana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fonts in PPT after TagEditor

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search