Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:49
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Oct 9, 2008

Today I was translating a ttx-file with lots of segments like "12 ºC" or "5 ºC". But the TM every time suggested "-14 ºC". A rather chilly TM or what do you think.
How could I get Workbench understand that the digits should be copied as such? In Wordfast this has never been a problem. Also in SDLX I remember a case where the Software could not cope with numbers.
Regards
Heinrich

Trados 8 newest download on Vista Business OS

[Bearbeitet am 2008-10-09 12:02]

Direct link Reply with quote

FarkasAndras
Local time: 23:49
English to Hungarian
+ ...
not normal Oct 9, 2008

Trados can replace the numbers and recognizes things like % and °C, so it does allow you to paste 13.5°C in full with CTRL-ALT-arrow.

It also replaces figures like this in otherwise 100% matched segments (most of the time anyway, so do check).

It may be that you don't have Numbers and/or Measurments ticked under Workbench/Options/TranMemOptions/Substitution localization.

Other than that, no idea.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Its ticked Oct 9, 2008

I use default installation settings (installed Trados a few days ago) and now checked this substitution localisation page. There is a tick at Numbers and everywhere else.
Regards
Heinrich

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
sorry Oct 9, 2008

The "Other than that" clause comes into force.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Grasping for straws .... Oct 9, 2008

There is a tick at Numbers and everywhere

Turn off Measurement conversion - could be that Fahreheit units are assumed. Is it just the temperature that goes bonkers?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Turn off all substitution localisation Oct 10, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:
Turn off Measurement conversion

Indeed. We always have trouble with substitution localisation. We always have all checkboxes disabled, as Trados is not very good with figures, really.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I cannot reproduce this Oct 10, 2008

When I create a Word-file with temperatures in a table Trados works alright, no matter what is ticked in substituion-globalisation. But in my translated ttx-file from yesterday it stops at every instance when pressing alt+* (translate to fuzzy).

Somewhat strange. But there is nothing I can do in the moment, must wait for the next occurrence of such a file.
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Numbers from TM

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search