Not translating everything/TagEditor+WinAlign
Thread poster: Elliina
Elliina
Elliina
English to Finnish
Oct 15, 2008

Hello everyone,
didn't quite come up with a good topic name... but my problem is the following:
In my work I often don't translate every sentence or sentence-to-sentence. I want to leave entire sentences out or to combine two or more sentences into one.

This is a problem alone in TagEditor, since it is not possible to give no equivalent, or is it?? Is there any way to do that? Ok, I've learned some tricks, to split the previous phrase, etc.

But when I want
... See more
Hello everyone,
didn't quite come up with a good topic name... but my problem is the following:
In my work I often don't translate every sentence or sentence-to-sentence. I want to leave entire sentences out or to combine two or more sentences into one.

This is a problem alone in TagEditor, since it is not possible to give no equivalent, or is it?? Is there any way to do that? Ok, I've learned some tricks, to split the previous phrase, etc.

But when I want to import earlier translations into a TM through WinAlign, that is problem. WinAlign does not seem to understand that not every sentence has a match, and it again messes up the whole text (or the following matches), if you see what I mean?

I should transfer a very large project to a TM through WinAlign, but it is a total mess because of the differences in the source and target text.

Anyone, please?
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 14:20
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Paragraph segmentation Oct 15, 2008

First of all, paragraph segmentation is probably more suitable for your situation. Secondly, I cannot see why using a CAT tool would be advantageous in such a setup.

Antonin

Elliina
Elliina
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
paragraph segmentation? Oct 15, 2008

Please can you enligthen me on paragraph segmentation??

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Align checking the alignment Oct 15, 2008

Elliina wrote:
I should transfer a very large project to a TM through WinAlign, but it is a total mess because of the differences in the source and target text.

Yes, I know what you mean. WinAlign lets you split or combine sentences the same way as you can expand or shrink segments while translating. You should not trust the automatic alignment done by WinAlign, and should go through the list disconnecting segments and reconnecting them as appropriate.

Elliina
Elliina
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Shrink and expand? Oct 15, 2008

I am not familiar with shrinking/expanding segements? How does that work?

Elliina
Elliina
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Shrinking... Oct 15, 2008

Elliina wrote:

Found it! Great! This helps me when working with TagEditor!
The problem with WinAlign and old translations remains.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Shrinking and expandind Oct 15, 2008

The Trados menu in Word and the menu in TagEditor contain the options "Expand segment" and "Shrink segment".

They mean that, if for style or better readability your translation in the target language should combine the meanings of two sentences, you can expand the segment to include two source segments. Give it a try in Word.

If you expanded too much, went into three or more sentences but change your mind, you can "shrink" the segment to include less sentences.
... See more
The Trados menu in Word and the menu in TagEditor contain the options "Expand segment" and "Shrink segment".

They mean that, if for style or better readability your translation in the target language should combine the meanings of two sentences, you can expand the segment to include two source segments. Give it a try in Word.

If you expanded too much, went into three or more sentences but change your mind, you can "shrink" the segment to include less sentences.

An equivalent system is provided in WinAlign, in which you can disconnect the connections made automatically by WinAlign (by right-clicking the connection and choosing the Disconnect option) and connect them appropriately by dragging in Winalign's screen. It would take me a while to explain this in words instead of visually, but you will find ample information in WinAlign's help or Trados' website.

I hope this helps!
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Paragraph segmentation Oct 15, 2008

Elliina wrote:

Please can you enligthen me on paragraph segmentation??

If you change the settings (in Trados Workbench under File - Setup, the "Segmentation Rules" tab) so that the "End of paragraph" is the only End Rule, your segments will be broken by paragraphs. I suppose that will correspond to your idea of translating in the broader sense.

You can also tweak the segmentation rules in a similar way for WinAlign.

HTH

Antonin

Elliina
Elliina
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 15, 2008

both, I've now come a big step forwards!

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
RTFM Oct 15, 2008

Elliina wrote:

You should have a peek into the User's manual then... Anyway, I think the function names are quite self-explanatory (if you know at least what a segment is )
But I have to agree fully with Antonin who pointed out that using a CAT tool with paragraph segmentation is pretty useless. There's higher probability that a sentence will repeat rather than a whole paragraph. Reconsider this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Not translating everything/TagEditor+WinAlign

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »