Tips for working with tables Word 2003
Thread poster: Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:50
German to English
Oct 15, 2008

Dear Colleagues,
Normally I would use TagEditor to translate documents containing tables, but the document I have was created using OCR and is full of "rogue" tags. Running the "Code zapper" macro developed for DVX users hasn't helped (segments are still full of codes), so I'm stuck using Word 2003, Workbench 7.5.0.759 in order to take advantage of the TM.

The issue, as most users know, is that in tables frequently the target segment is not displayed or only partially displayed. Only about 1/4 of the document (200 pages) consists of tables, thank goodness.

My question: does someone know of a workaround to (easily) expand (and reduce) table cells so that the target segments are clearly displayed. Is there a macro somewhere on the Web that will facilitate this?

All suggestions welcome!
Thanks, Kevin

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:50
German to Polish
+ ...
It's easy Oct 15, 2008

Select the table, right-click it, go to Propperties > Row and deselect the check box "Define / determine the height" (I don't know the exact terms, as my Word is in Polish).

If the check box is grayed, select and deselect it.

That's all.

Regards

A.

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 19:50
English to Greek
+ ...
It's even easier Oct 15, 2008

Andrzej's suggestion works very well. Another solution is to select web view. Normally, the tables should be fine there.

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:50
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Very helpful suggestions! Oct 15, 2008

The webview suggestion strikes me as being the least disruptive to the document, although changing table properties would work nicely if webview didn't work optimally.

Thanks to everyone for the prompt replies!
Kevin

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:50
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
WordFast... Oct 15, 2008

... can do it. Just start translating from the top left cell. Open segment, close, and open again... fixed height is removed... and you go on with translating. No problem. (I am not sure it was an intended trick.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips for working with tables Word 2003

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search