Thread poster: Stefan Trappen
Stefan Trappen
Stefan Trappen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:04
Romanian to German
+ ...
Oct 16, 2008

The only result after migration to a new system: Vista, OpenOffice, Licence retourned and reinstalled.

And now: nothing but "failed to create translation file" (with the wizzard) or white screen with the editor, Trados is on strike, too.

My question: who can help?
My next question: is MS Word obligatory? I allways try to avoid it.

Thanks in advance!

Stefan

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:04
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
What did you do? Oct 16, 2008

Did you use sdlx or Trados? What kind of file?
I have Vista too and have no trouble at all with Trados Tageditor or in Word.
If you save as rtf or xls in Openoffice you should be able to open the file in TE.
Pls tell us more details!
Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2008-10-16 15:57]

Stefan Trappen
Germany
Romanian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! No Problem with RTF Oct 16, 2008

Thanks, Heinrich,

a file saved as *.rtf works as to be expected.

But, the question remains, since OpenOffice creates *.doc files, too, and within the prior environment (Windows XP) SDLX and Trados were able to create translation files (*.idt).

But for the moment and the close future everything is all right.

Best regards,

Stefan

Sandrine Zérouali
Sandrine Zérouali  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 01:04
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
After 2 years... Apr 15, 2010

Hello,

Avoiding to open a new post I enter a commentary here. I have the same message " failed to create translation file" at the moment to create a new translation in SDLX. I have Windows XP environment.
Can you tell me if it is possible to create a *.idt file with a *.doc document? I tried to create a translation with *.rtf and it doesn't work!!!
Thank you for your answers (it is quite urgent).

[Modifié le 2010-04-15 16:00 GMT]

Stefan Trappen
Germany
Romanian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2 years later / how to create ... Apr 16, 2010

Hi Sandrine,

The simple answer had been, that I needed a Microsoft Office installed. Trados loves Microsoft and so does Microsoft. You cant replace MS Office with OpenOffice if you want to make use of all the features offered by Trados.

I do not want to comment on that fact.

Please accept my appologizes regarding the (slightly) delayed answer. But I have been to a very remote area in the balcan where the internet is hardly known. Only some 100 km from my vi
... See more
Hi Sandrine,

The simple answer had been, that I needed a Microsoft Office installed. Trados loves Microsoft and so does Microsoft. You cant replace MS Office with OpenOffice if you want to make use of all the features offered by Trados.

I do not want to comment on that fact.

Please accept my appologizes regarding the (slightly) delayed answer. But I have been to a very remote area in the balcan where the internet is hardly known. Only some 100 km from my vibrant city but in another world.

Kind regards,

Stefan
Collapse

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Word and .rtf May 5, 2010

I have 2 .rtf files to translate, I saved them into .doc and SDLX still gives me this message "failed to create translation file". I have the 2007 version. I tried to create another translation file from a normal .doc file and everything went well.

The question would be: how to convert a .rtf file into a .doc file, so that SDLX would not "feel" that it was previously a .rtf.

I tried copying the text, saving the .rtf into .doc, but no result.

Thank you fo
... See more
I have 2 .rtf files to translate, I saved them into .doc and SDLX still gives me this message "failed to create translation file". I have the 2007 version. I tried to create another translation file from a normal .doc file and everything went well.

The question would be: how to convert a .rtf file into a .doc file, so that SDLX would not "feel" that it was previously a .rtf.

I tried copying the text, saving the .rtf into .doc, but no result.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Collapse

ezpz
ezpz  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:04
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
SDLX and doc's May 19, 2010

(As this is the first result on Google when you type in "sdlx failed to create translation file"; I decided to post my experience here)

I was given a regular doc file to translate.
I don't think it's too large (1.5mb), but there are some graphics linked to tables (annual accounts).

I wanted to translate with SDLX, and every time I tried opening it (with the SDLX Wizard), I got the message "failed to create translation file".

After reading this forum e
... See more
(As this is the first result on Google when you type in "sdlx failed to create translation file"; I decided to post my experience here)

I was given a regular doc file to translate.
I don't think it's too large (1.5mb), but there are some graphics linked to tables (annual accounts).

I wanted to translate with SDLX, and every time I tried opening it (with the SDLX Wizard), I got the message "failed to create translation file".

After reading this forum entry, I gave .rtf a shot and it worked!
Literally:
1. Open the doc in Word, and "save as" a rtf file.
2. Try again with SDLX Wizard.

I'm not sure whether there is formatting loss, but I hope this at the very least allows you to continue working
Collapse

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
.rtf was the problem in my case May 19, 2010

oosanjay wrote:

After reading this forum entry, I gave .rtf a shot and it worked!
Literally:
1. Open the doc in Word, and "save as" a rtf file.
2. Try again with SDLX Wizard.

In my case the document was a.rtf document and sdlx gave me this message. Then I opened with sdlx another .doc document from the same folder and everything went just great. So, I saved the .rtf as .doc, but sdlx still sees it as a .rtf. I have no idea why.

That was a rush project and a working sdlx would have helped me SO MUCH. I had to translate it in word, with no CAT tools, because I didn't have time to research it. But I still don't have any answer. Why doesn't my sdlx translate rtf files???

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

failed to create translation file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »