Trados: how to work with a hardcopy source document
Thread poster: Jose Caceres

Jose Caceres
Peru
Local time: 11:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 17, 2008

Hi, I am totally new for Trados. I can do the simplest works and I am obtaining some results, but using source documents sent to me by Internet. I'm working in MS Word.
Now, I have received a document but in printed form, and so I am at a loss. Shall I have to write first the source and then write the translation below? Is there a way to avoid writing the source?
Thanks.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-10-17 05:18]

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:23
German to Polish
+ ...
Yes Oct 17, 2008

Forget Trados, write just your translation in Word.

))

A.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:23
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Or scan Oct 17, 2008

If you are used to oldfashioned style you can write the translation as Andzrej told you. If the text is from a fax this is the only way to go. But if it is a clear print you might try ocr. I use Abbyy Finereader to convert image-text to Word-format prior to translation. That way you can use a CAT-tool and don't have to be afraid to leave some sentence out in between.
And you can count how much there is to translate.
Regards
Heinrich

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:23
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
FineReader Oct 17, 2008

Get the latest version (9) of ABBYY FineReader and OCR the hard copy. It is an investment that pays off.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:23
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
... long term view ... Oct 17, 2008

Forget Trados, write just your translation in Word.

This way, you will have the target, but no source. Long-term it is the translation memory and all the past translations in it that will make itself feel.

Jose Caceres
Peru
Local time: 11:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 17, 2008

Thank you to all: you have been very helpful and timely- Now I have a clear idea.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados: how to work with a hardcopy source document

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search