Thread poster: Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Oct 17, 2008

Edit: Apparently it can only be done in Advanced Edit mode.

Tried with different installations of SDL-Trados 8.2.0.835 (earlier versions did not have this problem).

Impossible to enter Greek or French accents in WinAlign cells.

Can anyone else verify this problem?

[Edited at 2008-10-17 15:17]

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, confirmed Oct 17, 2008

Spiros Doikas wrote:

Edit: Apparently it can only be done in Advanced Edit mode.

Tried with different installations of SDL-Trados 8.2.0.835 (earlier versions did not have this problem).

Impossible to enter Greek or French accents in WinAlign cells.

Can anyone else verify this problem?

[Edited at 2008-10-17 15:17]

Yes, I remember noticing this problem too WinAlign 7.1.

I remember correctly, the problem has these characteristics:

a) You cannot insert accented characters in a number of languages using a combination of dead key plus letter.

b) On the other hand, you can insert the same character if your keyboard layout allows to add it with one key.

For instance, with a Spanish keyboard layout, you cannot insert ö typing ¨ + o. With a German keyboard layout, you only use one key for this character and you can insert it.

c) It only happens in the Quick Edit, if you use the Advanced edit function, you can type accented characters normally.

I am writing off by heart because I cannot check it right now but I think that was it.

Daniel

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
I can most definitely verify the problem Oct 18, 2008

And very annoying it is too. I have resorted to copy - pasting individual accent bearing letters to resolve the issue - which is time-consuming and just as annoying as the problem.

Spiros Doikas
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Advanced edit Oct 18, 2008

The solution is Advanced edit, right click on cell and select Advanced edit.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
Change the keyboard in Language Settings Oct 18, 2008

Changing the keyboard settings to French does the trick. Generally, for French accents I use the US International keyboard, which does not allow insertion of accents in WA.
Try adding a French keyboard and switch to it using the Shift-Alt combination (you probably use it to switch between Greek and English) or select it in the Language toolbar.
Can't tell about Greek characters, but I succeeded with Romanian diacritics very nicely.

HTH,
Sandra

[
... See more
Changing the keyboard settings to French does the trick. Generally, for French accents I use the US International keyboard, which does not allow insertion of accents in WA.
Try adding a French keyboard and switch to it using the Shift-Alt combination (you probably use it to switch between Greek and English) or select it in the Language toolbar.
Can't tell about Greek characters, but I succeeded with Romanian diacritics very nicely.

HTH,
Sandra

[Edited at 2008-10-18 09:51]
Collapse

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Yes, it works Oct 18, 2008

like a dream! Thanks, Spiro.

Spiros Doikas
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did Oct 18, 2008

Sangro wrote:

[Edited at 2008-10-18 09:51]

I did try with French keyboard. It only works with characters which do not need a dead key (i.e. one accent key and one letter key).

And of course, Greek keyboard is set by default when testing; so, that is not the case.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems entering accents in WinAlign?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »