Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:35
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Oct 21, 2008

I searched in the Knowledge base, but found only articles in Spanish about Multiterm.
I thought I would finally give it a try. What do you think is the easiest way to get used to this Software? I remember Jerzy wrote something about it, but where can I find the article?
Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Dr. Birgitte Eggeling  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:35
German to Danish
Webinar & manuals Oct 21, 2008

You have the possibility of intending a Webinar (to find here: http://www.translationzone.com). There are some Tutorials (English) as well. But I have learned by doing. At least I know the basic functions

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
By doing Oct 21, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I searched in the Knowledge base, but found only articles in Spanish about Multiterm.
I thought I would finally give it a try. What do you think is the easiest way to get used to this Software? I remember Jerzy wrote something about it, but where can I find the article?
Regards
Heinrich

I learned to use it by doing. It's quite easy, you only have to know that pressing alt-arrow will place the term in Word or Tageditor and that you can add terms by selecting the source and pressing ctrl-shift-s in Tageditor or Workbench (doesn't work in Word) and the target ctrl-shift-t and then add it with ctrl-shift-m. If you can remember those three combinations you can use multiterm. Changing a glossary from text or excel to multiterm is a bit more difficult but there are explanations on how to do that here somewhere, or alternatively I can help you to do that.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Took a course at a reseller's Oct 21, 2008

The best option really. Creating Multiterm termbases is not only about being able to use the software: it is mostly about imagining and creating a terminology structure that serves your purposes and can serve you in more than one sense.

Multiterm can be used for many purposes, and you should learn all the possibilities instead of trying to use it for a single, simple purpose. You can go a lot further than a simple table-like glossary. My advice is that you take a proper course at Trados' distributor in your area.

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I think Oct 21, 2008

I understand what you are saying Tomás. My experience however is that most translators and even agencies have MultiTerm but never use it because they don't have time or money to do a webinar and just leave it unused. And it's really not very difficult and saves a lot of time and improves the quality. That's why I have already helped a few collegues to just get started with using it, it's a shame not to use it when you have it.
In what kind of situation do you use those other functions? I can't think of anything I would like MultiTerm to do besides just giving me all possible translations for one term, but I am always curious about new or interesting/helpful features.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
First try Oct 21, 2008

I used the tutorial and read the manual about creating and importing. My file was a text file with two columns. Source language German and target language Finnish. I have used this file as a glossar in Wordfast.
Finally I managed to put the right headers at the top of the columns and create a termbase and import the entries. But the special characters were all wrong. So I went back and saved the file from Word as Unicode8.
But now, when I import the entries, they are reversed! Finnish terms first and German last. Why's that?

Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2008-10-21 11:28]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Several levels of use and their designs Oct 21, 2008

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:
In what kind of situation do you use those other functions?

I did not mean features, but structures and their results. Basically speaking, in all possible uses you end up grabbing MT terms into your translation interface. I did not mean that. I meant possibilities like:

- Applying UI strings into a related help or manual: A simple, disposable termbase with a short life, created from an Excel UI string list for instance.

- Customer glossary compliance: Creating a simple, medium-term bilingual glossary as a reference supplied by the customer.

- A typing help: A long-term, uncomplicated thing to help you type in long terms or expressions, or if your source language means a lot of words in the target language (German > latin language, for instance).

- Your internal, private, polished multilingual corpus of terminological information for all your pairs (recording term source, context, customer, end customer, and other information, images, classification per topics...): A very long term thing that helps to improve terminological consistency in the long run. No mass-adding of customer glossaries. A clean, well-researched thing that also provides traceability for the terms you have used with each customer and what terms have been validated by the customers for future jobs.

These are the main situations I see in relation to Multiterm. Over here we use all of them. And at least for the corpus you really want proper training as you need to organise your ideas and learn about the consequences of bad decisions even before running Multiterm.

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Try this Oct 21, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I used the tutorial and read the manual about creating and importing. My file was a text file with two columns. Source language German and target language Finnish. I have used this file as a glossar in Wordfast.
I added headers on top: Deutsch (tab) Suomi
I did the conversion to xtd and created a new termbase successfully using this textfile. But importing failed, the log file says:

-1 Does not conform to the target termbase definition.
Reason:
Source:

It must have something to do with the headers. But I cannot figure out what it is. I know others have stumbled on this too, so I take it easy.

What should the headers be like?

Regards
Heinrich

I think it does not really matter what the headers are.
Try doing it this way:
- in convert select excel file as the source and just press continue until you get to screen 5/9. This page is confusing because you need to click on both fields on the left and make sure that you select both as index field and select the right language for both. After this the conversion should be ok to use. Don't change anything on the other pages.
- Open Multiterm and create a new termbase. It's important to select "load an existing termbase definition file" in step 1. Select the file that was made during the previous conversion.
- Now import the entries. Click on "default import definition" and "process" and select the file made during conversion. I usually select the option that the file is fully compatible.
- After this everything should work.
Let me know if this helps.

[Edited at 2008-10-21 11:16]

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works, but entries are reversed Oct 21, 2008

I use a text file. All is ok, only that I have Finnish first and German last, whereas in the textfile German came first. Not only the labels, also the entries are reversed.

But I can switch them, no problem. Thanks for your help!

Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2008-10-21 11:35]

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Reversed terms Oct 21, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I use a text file. All is ok, only that I have Finnish first and German last, whereas in the textfile German came first. Not only the labels, also the entries are reversed.

The termbases can contain more than two languages, so there is no "correct" order. You can reverse the displayed order in MultiTerm by clicking on the "Reverse Index Fields" button (the blue triangle on the toolbar between the language names). To keep your settings, go to Project - Save Project.

mariale125
Local time: 16:35
English to Spanish
Is this by any chance what you are looking for? Oct 21, 2008

http://trados-training.doku-trans.de/SDL%20Trados%20Training%20EN.pdf

By the way, a took a course on trados that helps me a lot, but still have a lot to learn about it !

Have a nice week.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How did you learn to use Multiterm?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search