Alexandra Timmis
Alexandra Timmis
Germany
Local time: 23:29
English to German
+ ...
Oct 22, 2008

Hi,

First of all, I am sorry to bring up this topic yet again! I have gone through the previous calls for help, but nothing that was suggested helped.

I am using Trados 2007 Freelance, Vista and Office 2007. I am currently translating a Word file with different header and footers and am struggling to translate those. I can open the footer/header section but when I then try to open the segments in Workbench (open/get) it closes the footer/header and opens another
... See more
Hi,

First of all, I am sorry to bring up this topic yet again! I have gone through the previous calls for help, but nothing that was suggested helped.

I am using Trados 2007 Freelance, Vista and Office 2007. I am currently translating a Word file with different header and footers and am struggling to translate those. I can open the footer/header section but when I then try to open the segments in Workbench (open/get) it closes the footer/header and opens another sentence from the running document. BTW, I used the “translate” option of workbench before I started translating the document. Funnily enough, the headers and footers have been translated (unfortunately some are fuzzy matches, which means I need to amend)

- I can’t use TagEditor as the customer has specified an “unclean Word file”
- I have translated the document through to the end in the hope that it would then move on to the headers/footers. Unfortunately it didn’t.
- I have tried the option of adding a „hard break“ at the end of the footer/header – to no avail. It still ignores my request and opens a sentence in the running text.
- The format of the headers/footers is: “header even page”, “header odd page”, “footer even page” and “footer odd page”, no numbering style.

Since the headers/footers are all pre-translated (some 100% and some fuzzy matches), I was wondering what happened if I altered the translated segments without actually opening them in WB? Will it accept the changes when the customer cleans the document?

Thanks very much for all suggestions.
Alex
Collapse

cry4moon
cry4moon
South Korea
Local time: 06:29
English to Korean
similar problem.. Oct 22, 2008

Hi, friend! I had got simliar problems before and asked several collegues. Unfortunately, nobody gave me a clear answer. The only answer I'd got was the one you told. I directly corrected the content without opening the segment. guess there were no problems as my client told me it's just ok. Even sometimes the other segments excluding header/footer were not accessible as well soon after I opened header/footer first. I guess it mig... See more
Hi, friend! I had got simliar problems before and asked several collegues. Unfortunately, nobody gave me a clear answer. The only answer I'd got was the one you told. I directly corrected the content without opening the segment. guess there were no problems as my client told me it's just ok. Even sometimes the other segments excluding header/footer were not accessible as well soon after I opened header/footer first. I guess it might be a technical problem within the application itself. Cheers!Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
You can use TE indeed Oct 22, 2008

You can use TagEditor and still deliver an unclean Word file. You can translate your file in TagEditor and then convert it to a bilingual RTF using TTXpress; I thing PlusTools can do the trick too but I am not 100 % sure.

Annika Hedqvist
Annika Hedqvist  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Solution without TagEditor and TTXpress? Feb 28, 2009

I'm having the exact same problem as Alex and I'm wondering if anyone ever came up with a solution that worked. I tried translating my document in TagEditor, but then I couldn't even find the headers I needed to translate! Granted, I'm not very experienced with TagEditor, so maybe I need to change some settings to see them.

I also tried downloading TTXpress out of curiosity - it sounds like it could be a useful tool. I opened the .exe file, which ran for a few seconds or so and then
... See more
I'm having the exact same problem as Alex and I'm wondering if anyone ever came up with a solution that worked. I tried translating my document in TagEditor, but then I couldn't even find the headers I needed to translate! Granted, I'm not very experienced with TagEditor, so maybe I need to change some settings to see them.

I also tried downloading TTXpress out of curiosity - it sounds like it could be a useful tool. I opened the .exe file, which ran for a few seconds or so and then promptly told me it was installed. I'm using Word 2007 too and I can't see TTXpress anywhere. Does it not work with Word 2007?

I think my client will probably accept that I just translate the headers manually, without Trados, but it's an annoying problem and it would be great if someone had a solution.
Collapse

Alexandra Timmis
Alexandra Timmis
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what I ended up doing Feb 28, 2009

Hi Annika,

I can't help you with TTXpress, but I can tell you what I ended up doing:

In case of the pre-translated units, I manually amended them (i.e. I did not open the TU with Workbench, but simply put my cursor in there and typed away)
The header/footer that were not pretranslated, I just had to translate manually and told my client why I did that. He was happy enough.

It would, however, be wonderful if somebody some day found a good solution to t
... See more
Hi Annika,

I can't help you with TTXpress, but I can tell you what I ended up doing:

In case of the pre-translated units, I manually amended them (i.e. I did not open the TU with Workbench, but simply put my cursor in there and typed away)
The header/footer that were not pretranslated, I just had to translate manually and told my client why I did that. He was happy enough.

It would, however, be wonderful if somebody some day found a good solution to this rather annoying issue.

Good luck
Collapse

Carmen Álvarez
Carmen Álvarez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Three years later... Jan 31, 2012

...I have the same problem. Windows 7, Trados 2007 and Word 2007.

Anyone found out any solution?

Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error opening header/footer for translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »