Thread poster: psicutrinius

psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:48
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 22, 2008

It is about 35000 words (original, in English), and about midway through, upon reopening, I found it impossible to hide both the original and the tags.

When I activate the "show / hide" button in word, the word's own marks appear / disappear as supposed, but trados' don't.

Might it be due to (a) some quite long paragraphs (I do segment by paragraphs, precisely), or (b) there are some graphs / diagrams, which the client requests to be translated at the foot of the page using, precisely, word (translation as a word table, in the approximate order / disposition of the original and, of course, monolingual).

Additionally, every now and then, word "menaces" that it has not enough memory left and that "changes will not possibly be recovered (reversed).

Any ideas? I am afraid this is not the first time this question has been put to the forum, but I have spent well over an hour scanning and have been unable to find anything -links will be gratefully accepted anyway...

... and I am late in delivery (will be, I mean) so any help will be most welcome.

thanks a bunch

Direct link Reply with quote

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 17:48
English to Greek
+ ...
a suggestion I can think of... Oct 22, 2008

word menu-> tools-> preferences ->view tab-> formatting marks-> de-check the "secret text" checkbox (or something like that, my Word is in Greek).

As regards the threat, I have come across it several times when working on large files, but, knowing that I am working on a strong machine, I don't panic and I ignore them. I don't know if that is good or bad, but nothing grave has happened so far!

[Edited at 2008-10-22 20:51]

Elin Davies  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Welsh
+ ...
Hidden text Oct 22, 2008

This has been happening to me too this week, and I do as Eleni suggested. My OS is in English and the box i untick is called 'Hidden text', and after view I go to options (tools>options>view under formatting marks, untick hidden text).

Good luck!

Luis M. Cuerdo Galarraga  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
In spanish Word 2003 Oct 23, 2008

Herramientas > Opciones > Ver > Texto oculto

Word changes this setting by itself from time to time.

psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a bunch... Oct 23, 2008

To every answerer. Eleni, I got it. Mine is in Spanish, but your heads-up was what I needed

Elin, yours too - closer

And, Luis, special thanks for uncovering the kernel of the thing. That's the point, word works on its own (I would say, plays dirty tricks), at the worst possible moment.

Ah, and by the way: Does anybody know how to solve that menacing warning about "word running out of memory"?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Upgrade Oct 23, 2008

psicutrinius wrote:

Ah, and by the way: Does anybody know how to solve that menacing warning about "word running out of memory"?

Upgrade your RAM and/or use the Windows Task Manager to shut down processes that you don't need and that are running in the background.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I cannot hide source language (and tags) in a bilingual word / workbench

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search