Thread poster: Kyoung-ae Kim

Kyoung-ae Kim
South Korea
Local time: 16:49
Member (2007)
English to Korean
+ ...
Oct 27, 2008

Would you please help me to tackle this problem?

My client gave me an instruction like "to make sure that the translation is entered as Unicode for xml, also called universal character set (for example &# 54924;&# 49324; instead of 회사(Korean characters))". (I changed the example for here but anyway.)

I translated the xml files using TagEditor and saved Target as usual. And I opened one of the translated xml files in Notepad to check whether it was saved as unicode or not. It was not shown like &# 54924;&# 49324; but 회사 (Korean characters) to me (a Korean version Windows user).

And it was saved as encoding UTF-8 so I thought it was ok because the encoding attribute in the xml file was also UTF-8 like / xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" /. As I know, using the same encoding in the encoding attribute is one way to avoid errors like shown unrecognisable characters in the Web.

I sent all the translated xml files to the client, but my client asked me back that I should "enter as Unicode or universal character set" again.

What is the problem here and what do you think I can do?

[Edited at 2008-10-28 06:54]

Direct link Reply with quote

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:19
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Entities Oct 28, 2008

Your client wants numeric entities; not UTF-8. UTF-8 displays the characters as you see them in printed form.

In order to produce numeric entities save the xml file with latin-1 encoding. They should be able to do it on their side; apparently there is some challenge on the technical side of things.

Kyoung-ae Kim
South Korea
Local time: 16:49
Member (2007)
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 29, 2008

Hi Spiros,

Thank you for your answering my question!

I did research a lot and realised how I could deal with this type of matters with unicode.

It's all because of you. I appreciate your reply!

Have a great day!

Best regards,

Kyoung-ae

[Edited at 2008-10-29 01:03]

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:19
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
You are welcome Oct 30, 2008

-:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating xml files as unicode

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search