I just love SDLX! Saved my projects several times already
Thread poster: Alex Pszczola

Alex Pszczola  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:21
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 28, 2008

Hello,

I just wanted to share my experiences with SDL Trados 2007 SP2. Thank God there is SDLX Suite in this software pack. When Trados failed in several projects, SDLX saved the day. I started to use it for few months. Clean interface, rock-solid performance and tools without bugs. Projects involved Framemaker translation, damaged and messy Word files which could not be translated in Word 2007 or Tageditor.

I just wanted to encourage translators to use it instead of Trados - you can export/import between Trados and SDLX, so if agency want it in Trados and Trados doesn't work, then go for SDLX and then export back TM and make bilingual/clean files.

Good luck!
Alex

Direct link Reply with quote

Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:51
English to Swedish
I agree 100% Oct 28, 2008

Long live SDLX!

Quest4  Identity Verified
English to Danish
Yep... Oct 29, 2008

I totally agree. In the beginning I found it old fashioned. Now I nearly do all my work in SDLX - and hate when I cannot.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not always the best one... Oct 29, 2008

Alex Pszczola wrote:

Projects involved Framemaker translation, damaged and messy Word files which could not be translated in Word 2007 or Tageditor.

Good luck!
Alex

Hi Alex,
SDLX is OK, but I have to disagree on your "use-it-wenever-possible" statement.
Recently, I got 15 ITDs created from messy Framemaker files. You know what? Each segment contained some 15 different formatting colours. When I switched over to full view of tags, one segment was two or even more screens long.
So I had to do it vice versa: convert to TTX, use TagEditor and reconvert the translated TTXs back in ITDs.

BTW, have you tried MemoQ? It has an interface much similar to that of SDLX and even better filters and project management features.

Good luck to you too!

Alex Pszczola  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not the perfect one, but... Oct 29, 2008

If you look around you see 90% of the problems are connected with Trados. I think if people would learn how to use SDLX, then moderator would be less busy and they will produce more translations and have more time. That's why I wrote this tip. Every software has bugs, SDLX has a lot less than Trados and I did not encounter one yet!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
We shouldn't use generalizations Oct 29, 2008

And your "90% of the problems are connected with Trados" is more than this.
In fact at least 60% of problems reported (in connection with Trados) are due to the lack of training and thus to the lack of ability to use the software properly (source: SDL Trados support).

But hey, what's perfect in our lives?

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Statistics, statistics... Oct 29, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And your "90% of the problems are connected with Trados" is more than this.
In fact at least 60% of problems reported (in connection with Trados) are due to the lack of training and thus to the lack of ability to use the software properly (source: SDL Trados support).

Ehm...
It seems even worse.

Alhough I don't believe the SDL support statistics.

First, most of them are related only to the PSMA customers.
During the last two years, as no major upgrade was offered by SDL, the PSMA wasn't very useful for an advanced user (I consider the support competence level is sometimes very, very poor).
If you haven't PSMA, you can't report bugs in an efficient way, the support simply ignores e-mails, so the advanced users resign and search for workarounds instead of report the bug.

Second, SDL can manipulate the stats as they want.
E.g., for a moment, 60% of cases I submitted are closed although the related bugs are still here...
If the "pending" category was available, the stats would have been worse

But hey, what's perfect in our lives?

A perfect pint

Cheers
GG

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
What kind of 90 %... Oct 29, 2008

Hi Alex,
I certainly don't want to re-raise the endless "which-CAT-tool-is-the-best-one" discussion. I believe this is a matter of personal preference, at least as far as the editing environment is concerned.
Yes, I agree that Trados does have bugs, related especially to the different document filters. The list of probable reasons may be enough to write a whole article.
You've mentioned:

If you look around you see 90% of the problems are connected with Trados.

I suggest that you have a better look around and filter:
1) Re-posted threads; some ProZ users just won't use the "Forum Search" feature;
2) Questions/Issues that are clearly explained in Trados documentation; some translators would get their copy of Trados, start working on a translation project immediately and as soon as they encounter a problem they can't resolve at the first go, they would post "How do you do this" and "How do you do that" questions. Most of them RTFM issues.

If you filter such posts, I'm sure you will arrive at different numbers.
Also, you have to take into account that Trados is the industry leader (as little as I like it, I can't ignore it) and that it has to deal with the most challenging projects. What I'm pointing to is that other CAT tools might have the same or similar problems with the same or similar projects and that these issues may simply not be documented. Which does not mean they don't exist.

BTW, I'm not trying to defend Trados. But to give an example, I couldn't open an INX file in SDLX while I could in Trados and in MemoQ. How come?

[Upraveno: 2008-10-29 20:00]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I just love SDLX! Saved my projects several times already

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search