I can't open Trados/How to retrieve the license (activation code)
Thread poster: Estefanía González

Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 2, 2008

Hi everyone,

I installed on Friday SDL Trados 2007 on my PC (Windows XP, Service Pack 3). I had already this Trados version on my laptop, so in order to work with Trados with my PC I used the return license function, so that I could activate the license from my PC. On Friday everything looked fine (the registration of license on line worked) and I opened a couple of TM’s in my PC to see if the program worked and it did.

However, I have just tried to use Trados in my PC, but I can’t open the program. I receive an error message stating that the program has an error and that is going to be closed immediately.

I have tried to register Trados with all the applications closed, the repair function and even uninstalled and re-installed the program…. Without success…

I had given up and thought that I could work again from my laptop. However, since on Friday I returned the license from my laptop and registered the Trados license on line with my PC, I have no licenses left! Even if Trados is not installed on the PC! And when it is installed, I can't open it, therefore I can't use the return license function.

I am really desperate because I have a license that I can’t return and therefore I can’t activate it. Any ideas on how to solve this mess will be truly appreciated.

I have even thought of buying a second Trados license, but I don’t find the option on Trados website.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Estefanía

[Edited at 2008-11-02 21:08]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:40
English to Czech
+ ...
Error message Nov 2, 2008

Hi Estefanía,
what does the error message say exactly?

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Stanislav Nov 2, 2008

The error message says:

"Trados has found a problem. Translator's Workbench will now close"

Thank you!

[Edited at 2008-11-02 21:07]

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New activation code Nov 3, 2008

Trados customer support has generated a new activation code. So at least I can use Trados 2007 from my laptop now!

However, how has anyone found a turnaround to solve the other problem? That is, when workbench closes automatically after it is launched?

Thanks for your help!

Estefanía

[Edited at 2008-11-03 11:04]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:40
English to Czech
+ ...
No, sorry... Nov 3, 2008

Sorry, but I haven't. A similar error usually occurs if you're trying to launch two instances of Workbench on one and the same machine or on two machines connected to the same computer network. But then the message says "An error occured while trying to verify the license. Please check the installation and try again. Translator's Workbench Freelance will now close", which I understand is not your problem.
So the solution may indeed be a new activation code.

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Stanislav Nov 3, 2008

Thank you anyway

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thread on the problem Nov 3, 2008

I have found the following thread that describes the issue:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/70100-installation_trados_2007_failed-page2.html

I am waiting for an answer from Trados customer support.

[Edited at 2008-11-03 12:15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I can't open Trados/How to retrieve the license (activation code)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search