Thread poster: Daniel Šebesta

Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:31
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Nov 4, 2008

I am using SDL Trados 2006 on Windows XP Professional. I am trying to open 9 PPT files (prepared in MS Office 2003) in the TagEditor. For each, I get either of the following error messages:

(80005): Connection with server application error: HeaderFooter (unknown member) : Invalid request.
(80005): Connection with server application error: Not implemented

I didn't use to have problems making TTX files from PPT presentations. Any ideas what could be happening now and what I should do about it?

I will appreciate any help.

Daniel

Direct link Reply with quote

Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No ideas really? Nov 8, 2008

Daniel

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
A corrupt file (?) Nov 9, 2008

Daniel Šebesta wrote:

I am using SDL Trados 2006 on Windows XP Professional. I am trying to open 9 PPT files (prepared in MS Office 2003) in the TagEditor. For each, I get either of the following error messages:

(80005): Connection with server application error: HeaderFooter (unknown member) : Invalid request.
(80005): Connection with server application error: Not implemented

I didn't use to have problems making TTX files from PPT presentations. Any ideas what could be happening now and what I should do about it?

In the 80005 error case, SDL states the source file is corrupt.
Try to copy and paste your file content in a new, empty file.

HTH.
Although I'm don't sure their explication is true, the error message suggests rather a PPT feature not implemented in TE.

Cheers
GG

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Office 2003 Nov 10, 2008

Hi Daniel,
were your PPTs really prepared in Office 2003, or in Office 2007 and saved as Office 2003. This makes a huge difference to Trados, as it uses different filters to open the files.

[Upraveno: 2008-11-10 15:22]

Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Made in Office 2003 Nov 16, 2008

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

were your PPTs really prepared in Office 2003, or in Office 2007 and saved as Office 2003.

Stanislav,

Thanks for your posting and sorry for my delay.

I am relative sure that at least some of the PPTs were created in Office 2003.

To make absolutely sure, I have just tried creating a new simple test file (one slide, one word) in my Office 2003. Again, I received the "Not implemented" error message when trying to open that test file in my TagEditor.

Any other ideas?

Daniel

Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Implementation Nov 16, 2008

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

In the 80005 error case, SDL states the source file is corrupt.
Try to copy and paste your file content in a new, empty file.

HTH.
Although I'm don't sure their explication is true, the error message suggests rather a PPT feature not implemented in TE.

Cheers
GG

Thanks for getting back to me, Grzegorz!

The files don't seem to be corrupt. After all, my TagEditor doesn't accept a simple test file (see my response to Stanislav above) either.

Yes, I am wondering what the "not implemented" message refers to. What should I implement and how in my Trados settings to make this work?

Thanks,

Daniel

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Hmm, strange... Nov 16, 2008

Hi Daniel,
I got a similar error message with a Word 2007 file; although Trados claims support for Office 2007, the "80005" errors usually occur with DOCX and PPTX files if you don't have Office 2007 installed (which is my case).

I really can't imagine what your messages mean. But judging from the references to a "server", I suspect they might be related to the Java Runtime Environment.

Just a blind shot: did you try re-registering Trados and MultiTerm (in that order)?

Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re-installing Nov 25, 2008

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
Just a blind shot: did you try re-registering Trados and MultiTerm (in that order)?

Hi Stanislav,

In the end, I tried re-installing both MS Office and Trados (in this order) on that computer and everything is working now as it used to.

Thank you very much for your effort!

Daniel

Letra  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
I will add my comment to this problem... Jan 21, 2009

... as my solution was different. I was getting the same error message when I tried to open a PPT file in TagEditor 7.5 on a PC where I had installed both Office 2000 and Office 2007 (in that order). As everyone knows, Office 2007 does not work with Trados 2006 and apparently TagEditor was trying to use PowerPoint 2007 to convert the file, which of course could not work. But when I tried to open the same file on a PC with Office 2000 only, it worked immediately.

Kathleen Misson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Try opening in Office 2003 then save as... Feb 7, 2009

Save as PowerPoint 97-2003 & 95.

I had the same error message but this did the trick.

Cheers,
Kathleen.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

80005 errors in SDL Trados 2006

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search