Thread poster: Odile Stuart

Odile Stuart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:02
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 6, 2008

I have just updated my SDL software with Passolo which I have never used before. I would be glad to have comments on this new software. I do not know what to do with it to be frank. Can someone explain to me the benefits of this software. Many thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:02
French to Polish
+ ...
No advantages for most of us... Nov 6, 2008

Odile Stuart wrote:

I have just updated my SDL software with Passolo which I have never used before. I would be glad to have comments on this new software. I do not know what to do with it to be frank.

In most cases, the people don't need it.
Passolo is a (great) tool for sofware localization.
If you don't translate software, it's just a (funny) toy

Can someone explain to me the benefits of this software. Many thanks!

Probably none.
If you don't know what it is, you never heard this name, I'm 100% sure you don't translate software

Generally, Passolo Essentials replaces the very basic Tag Editor features related to the software localization (rc, resx, binaries).
I.e., you'll have a decent work environment instead of the Tag Editor crap.
(e.g. in TE, the handling of the ampersand as tag was a big mistake, the resx (.Net) filter was simply ridiculous...)

BTW.
In fact, the Passolo Essentials is too castrated to be usable in the real llife.
In the software devlopment, we face very often the situations mentionned in the point 3 below...

SDL Passolo Essential is part of SDL Trados 2007 Suite. SDL Passolo Essential includes all main functions needed for the localization of software, with the following restrictions:
• Projects are limited to using one target language
• Only Win32 and .NET programs are supported
• Some functions are not available. For example, the export of data, checking translations, leverage, reports, pseudo-translation and automation are not available
• You can only perform automated translation with SDL Trados translation memories

Source:
http://www.passolo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1624&sid=d125b1f7c0914f95fa429c15da2b8a45

PS.
I have a full Passolo licence.

Cheers
GG

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

new to SDL Passolo 2007

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search