Mutiterm+Word: Empty buttons in Multiterm 'Add Term' boxes - Part 2 (GXT)
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:15
Spanish
+ ...
Nov 8, 2008

I'm using a new system so I re-installed everything again, Including Trados 8, Multiterm 7 and Trados GXT 6.4. I was having the same problem described here: Mutiterm+Word: Empty buttons in Multiterm 'Add Term' boxes. I followed Gareth's directions and it worked, the buttons are no longer empty. However, it only works if I open Word directly (clicking on the Word shortcut); if I open a Word document from GXT, the buttons are empty again.

The weird thing is that both instances of Word (the one started from a shortcut, and the one started from GXT) use the same Normal and Multiterm7 templates--I checked the paths. I tried restarting the computer, I followed the steps in the link above, I deleted the templates, I deleted the Multiterm7dot.xml, I emptied the Recycle Bin and pasted the new Multitem template. I even used the Multiterm7 template that came in the Multiterm installation file. But still, the problem is not fixed.

I did find a work-around though. If I open Word first, and then open the Word document from GXT, the buttons are shown. But in my other computer, I didn't have to do this, so I know it can be fixed.

Is there another way?

[Edited at 2008-11-09 16:34]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxOptiproz Pri
Local time: 00:15
English
Using Outlook...? Nov 8, 2008

Hi Claudia

Do you use Outlook? If yes try this...:

1. Open Outlook and close all orther applications.
2. Deactivate the email option for using Word as editor under Tools>Options.

Try again to start word and look if it is working now.

Cheers

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No change :( Nov 8, 2008

Thank you for your suggestion, I did that but unfortunately, it didn't work. I guess it has to do with GXT settings because when I open the Word document from Trados GXT, the Termbases box appear empty, whereas if I start Word without using GXT, all the previous termbases are showing in the Termbases box and the buttons are not empty.

Have a nice weekend.

Claudia

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
blue-eyed question Nov 8, 2008

what's Trados GXT and what is it good for (when it works;)?

TiA

Vito

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados GXT Nov 9, 2008

TRADOS GXT
TRADOS GXT is a server application that connects an organisation's content to the managers and translators responsible for its localization. TRADOS GXT can be described in terms of three basic modules: Global Content Manager and Localization Manager run within the TRADOS GXT server, while TM Workbench is a standalone PC application used by translators and managers to access the server and perform translation of enterprise content.

It basically allows the client to manage projects and upload them in packages for the translators. I don't know exactly how it works in the client's environment, but once a package is downloaded, running the GXT file sets all the files needed for the translation (source documents, TMs and termbases. Once the translation is completed, all the files are uploaded to the Trados server via GXT.

But the problem is not GXT, the problem is that piece of crap called Multiterm. You'd think migrating the termbases should be an easy task, since that **** completely collapses every three days, if not more often. But of course, as with all SDL Trados programs, nothing's easy.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I never use MultiTerm.dot in Word Nov 10, 2008

You'd think migrating the termbases should be an easy task, since that **** completely collapses every three days, if not more often...

If it is a migration problem I cant be of any big help. As for me, on one side I have a MultiTerm.dot, that doesn't work (comes back with a message box saying "null pointer to [..........]"), on the other side my connection to MultiTerm via TWB works fine for me. Can you use MultiTerm in TWB?

Vista, Word 2003, MultiTerm 7, TWB 7.1.x

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2008-11-10 12:53]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mutiterm+Word: Empty buttons in Multiterm 'Add Term' boxes - Part 2 (GXT)

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search