Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:58
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 13, 2008

I wonder if there is a rule of thumb how much TE can handle in one file.
Today I tried to open a 100+ pages rtf-file and had to wait ages (in fact loading is still in progress while I'm posting this). I use a brand-new laptop under Vista and are usually content with the speed of the various Trados components.

What is the biggest doc you have translated in one piece in TE?

Regards
Heinrich

PS. I had to shut down TE because it would go nowhere. But I realise doc-files might work better. Now I split the thing into 5 pieces 20 pages each.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-11-13 19:06]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 17:58
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
my salami tactics Nov 13, 2008

What is the biggest doc you have translated in one piece in TE?

I guess it was in the order of 50.000 segments - but I did it in batch.

My policy is to finish the project by pretranslating the original files with the translation memory that's been created. In such a case it is pretty much irrelevant how long it takes - of course in some cases the long time may have pathological roots.

To get to the final translation memory I can cut the working copies of the sources any way I want t - in rough units of 10.000 words for instance. Makes time accounting simpler (g).
Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2008-11-13 15:48]

Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Verification Nov 13, 2008

...I tried to open a 100+ rtf-file ...

Could you, please, clarify what you mean by 100+ file? Is the number relating to the row and/or columns or to the amount of files in one batch?

Thank you!

Carsten

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another approach Nov 13, 2008

Hi Heinrich. This is a very interesting matter actually. When it comes to huge files, working with a single file has its disadvantages, specially if you have another person reviewing your work (how the heck can the other person start before I finish?, etc. etc.). Also, I personally feel that working with smaller files makes work easier as you can easily decide daily landmarks you want to reach, and the like.

Now, I see another approach here (we use it sometimes):
- Analyse the file with Trados and use the Export unknown segments button to create a Word file containing all the new/changed parts. You can split this Word file as you like and give out work to your reviewer in chunks. Once you are finished with all the pieces, clean them (updating the memory of course) and work away interactively in the actual TTX file, just making sure that everything fits nicely in context.

(I have to say that I am not very fond of using the Translate function of Workbench, as you might create problems with translations which are not right in their context, etc. etc.)

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Faster as a Word file? Nov 13, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Today I tried to open a 100+ rtf-file and had to wait ages (in fact loading is still in progress while I'm posting this).

You might want to use Word to save the file as a Word file and then open it with TE. The more recent versions of Trados open Word files rather quickly. Just give it a try!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 23:58
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Trados variant: SDLX Nov 14, 2008

When I meet with slow processing in Trados Workbench + TagEditor, I switch to SDLX [even in my latest job].
SDLX works faster and it allows you to split, convert from and to TagEditor, use of Trados TM etc.
In my latest job, an XML file was sent to me (without source) in *.ttx which I spent a very long time to open it (nothing to say with translating!). I pretranslated totally with 'copy source when not match' and converted to *.itd (SDL Edit) file; translated it quckly and converted back into *.ttx file.
If I insisted on using *.ttx file, I should have been mad with its badly slow processes.
In this file, I could not split into smaller *.itd files since sources were from *.ttx, not *.itd!
Regards,
SL

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When to split documents for TE?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search