Crash upon concordance search on specific words
Thread poster: Levente Bodrossy Dr.

Levente Bodrossy Dr.  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:37
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nov 15, 2008

Dear all,

I have a TM of about 40000 units. It is the result of years of cooperation with a Japanese agency and I frequently received exported TM files (Translators Workbench TXT format) from them. There are some words which, when used in Concordance search, reproducibly crash the TM. I tried to reorganise the TM, export and import into a new TM, but the symptoms are still there. I suspect it might have to do something with Japanese vs. English vs. Hungarian Windows being used, but I am far from being sure. Whatever the reason, however, I have no idea about the solution.

Did anyone come across a similar problem and if so, is there a way to solve it? I should add, the TM works fine as long as I don't use those words in concordance search. One example would be "reset" - I just spent the last 10 minutes recovering from the crash, this time even after system restart the TM was "not accessible" so I had to use my recent backup and update with the current translation.

Any help would be most welcome...

Thank you and kind regards,

Lev

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Arial Unicode MS font missing? Nov 15, 2008

Hi,

Could it be that the Arial Unicode MS font is not installed?

Have a look at this thread:

http://geo.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/98837-workbench_spooky_concordance_search_for_a_specific_term_kills_the_application.html

Danel

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Not an expert, here... Nov 15, 2008

...but checking the .txt file have you noticed any strange symbols before or after the word that causes the crash?

Also, have you tried to substitute the crashing word with a different one and run a concordance on the latter to see if it crashes the same?

Have you tried to ran the concordance on another PC?

Sorry if I answer with more questions, but I am far from being a Trados tech-headicon_smile.gif
HTH
G

English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried with other words, not on another PC... Nov 15, 2008

Thank you for the tips!

Yes, I checked the .txt file, searching for the crashing word and did not notice any funny characters... I know this speaks against my theory regarding op. systems with different languages and character code sets.

The concordance works with some words, but crashes with others. This is very consistent - those crashing will always crash while those which do not are always OK (including words giving a hit and words not giving one).

Another PC - no, that I haven't tried... I will though on Monday if nothing else helps.

English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Danel Nov 16, 2008

it seems installing this font set solved the problem.

Hi,

Could it be that the Arial Unicode MS font is not
installed?

Have a look at this thread:

http://geo.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/98837-workbench_spooky_concordance_search_for_a_specific_term_kills_the_application.html

Danel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Crash upon concordance search on specific words

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search