Checking spelling while translating
Thread poster: clairemf

clairemf
France
Local time: 18:00
English to French
Nov 17, 2008

Hello,

Something always bothers me when working with Trados.

As MS Word does not handle bilingual files, it cannot check the spelling in source and target languages (unless you manually select some text and the language).
While translating a Word file with Trados, in order to check spelling (especially typos) while translating, I select the segment, go to Language, select the language and Check. This is quite tedious and really slows down the translation process.

Is there any other (semi-automatic) way to do this? Or a trick you could share?

When the file is cleaned up (only one language left), Word can spell check... but too late!

Thanks for reading me

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Perhaps you worry too much Nov 17, 2008

Spellchecking does not work very well even in Word while translating, at least with Trados. I noticed however that I do not make more mistakes in TE than in Word, even though I am used to the feedback of the Word-spellchecker. So you should wait till the end, copy the text to Word, clean the file and proofread. In any case you'll find points for improvement when reading the translation.
Regards
Heinrich

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:00
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Macros and/or Ando tools Nov 17, 2008

Hi Claire,
Spellchecking is very important for me also. You could record all the actions involved in applying the language in a simple macro. Then assign a shortcut to the macro, and all you have to do is use the shortcut.

You may also try a free tool called Ando tools, which has a special function for this purpose. Sometimes it works.
Download it at:
http://atools.dotsrc.org/

Best,
Sandra

A. Bian  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Hide source language to spellcheck Nov 17, 2008

You can spellcheck the bilingual document in Word by hiding the source language segments. Complete your translation, but don't clean the document yet.
Choose Tools > Options and uncheck the boxes "hidden text" and "all".

Only the target language segments will remain visible.
Now mark all the text and set the document language to your target language. Perform the spellcheck, make the necessary changes and then clean the document as usual.

If you want to go back to the bilingual view again and see both, source and target language segments, just go to Choose Tools > Options and check the box "hidden text".

[Edited at 2008-11-17 21:14 GMT]

clairemf
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Ando? Nov 18, 2008

Hello Sandra,
Thanks for your answer and ideas.
Have you tried the Ando tool personally? Are there drawbacks in its use?

clairemf
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Simple! Nov 18, 2008

Yes, Bian, that's so simple! I'm so used to the "masked" text that I forget you can just hide it. Thanks a lot

[Modifié le 2008-11-18 08:25 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
- Nov 18, 2008

Bian wrote:

You can spellcheck the bilingual document in Word by hiding the source language segments. Complete your translation, but don't clean the document yet.
Choose Tools > Options and uncheck the boxes "hidden text" and "all".

Only the target language segments will remain visible.
Now mark all the text and set the document language to your target language. Perform the spellcheck, make the necessary changes and then clean the document as usual.

Yeah I do that, too.
Normally, it should not be necessary to set the language manually, and if you do, it also changes the language of the hidden source text (which shouldn't be much of a problem).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Checking spelling while translating

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search