Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Trados changes the font of the text
Thread poster: stecc
stecc
Local time: 09:25
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 20, 2008

I'm working with Trados freelance 7.0 in a Word file. When I open a translation unit, it authomatically appears in a font different from the original one. I don't know why and I don't know how to solve this problem. Now I just keep changing manually the font for each translation unit (when I close and then reopen it the font is once more changed).
Can anyone help me?

thanks a lot
Stefania

Direct link Reply with quote

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:25
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Word styles Nov 20, 2008

often change when working with Trados. The safest option is to import the (source) document into TagEditor.

Sylvia Germroth Nordebo  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
Use styles in word Nov 20, 2008

Dear Stefania,

the way I use to avoid this problem is to open the original document in word and define and use styles for every formate or font I can find in the text myself (according to the styles given in the original document). I usually have to erase all styles first and then define the new ones to make it work. So it depends on what the original looks like: sometimes I can do the whole text at once, sometimes I work section by section.

Usually trados keeps the fonts and formates after having done this. So you don´t have to change while translating or afterwards.

It is more work before you start translating with Trados but it is less work than changing every unit manually.

I don´t know if that is the best way to do it but for me it works better than doing it manually.

Kind regards
Sylvia

[Bearbeitet am 2008-11-20 14:57 GMT]

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:25
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Switching to TagEditor should not be an option Nov 20, 2008

I hate TagEditor. The issue is why does TRADOS do that? It is an extremely annoying well-known problem, and it happens way too often. There should be a solution to the problem other than going around it.

-------------------
I found this:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/43683-why_does_trados_change_fonts.html

The consensus from knowledgeable people is that it is not TRADOS. So, my apologies.

[Edited at 2008-11-20 16:19 GMT]

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It is a Word problem rather than a Trados problem Nov 20, 2008

Please see this thread:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/80711-why_does_the_font_so_often_change_to_times_new_roman_when_opening_a_tu.html#637457

I now apply styles before starting to translate, and the font does not change any more. It seems to be worth learning a little bit about Word.

Astrid

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Learn to love Tageditor Nov 20, 2008

as you also should learn to love what you do.
Tageditor is an option, and a very good one.
With this you do not depend on any particular format.
As for Word - usually the problem are styles (and thus the author of the document) and sometimes other settings. First check usage of styles, then languages.

stecc
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS Nov 20, 2008

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and for your help. I'm not sure I have understood everything, but now at least I know what I have to (learn to) do!
I stay in front of a computer 12 hours a day and there are so many secrets about it I still have to unveil!!!

good night
Stefania

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yeah Nov 21, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

as you also should learn to love what you do.
Tageditor is an option, and a very good one.
With this you do not depend on any particular format.

I only second that. But to be honest, there are other cross-format CAT tools that may be not as user-friendly as TE, but are far more reliable.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Complex Scripts... Nov 21, 2008

Hello,

This could be caused by your complex scripts settings. I would recommend reading the following article from the SDL knowledge base:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1859&p=1

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Diana Mecarelli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
TagEditor doesn't show different colours Dec 1, 2008

Working in TagEditor, your' not able to see the different coulors for different matches, that's why I prefer working directly in Word.

And why should it be a Word Problem, if the font changes? I never heard about the same problem in Wordfast, or does it change working with Wordfats too?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why do you need different colours for different matches? Dec 1, 2008

A 100% match is green background, a fuzzy match is yellow background and you have colours showing you changes in the Workbench. This helps more than anything else - and is unique for Trados. Other tools I know are not that clear in showing you changes as Trados does.
As for font changes - this is a very Word problem, believe me.
In most cases simple changes in the styles stop those font changes completly.
Not using Tageditor takes you also the possibility of using all quality assistance tools, available in TE. And this alone is enough for me to switch to TE completly.

German to Italian
+ ...
Colours in TE Dec 1, 2008

Hi Jerzy,

but in TE, when I'm working, I don't se the differet colours until I don't open a segment. So, if I want to review the translations that aren't 100% matches, I have to run the whole document. In a short doc this may be possible, but in a long one it takes to much time. Because, as I noticed, it opens and shuts all the 100% matches until it arrives to the fuzzy matches. Or am I wrong? In Word I can see immediately the different colours without beeing forced to have a preview, like in TE.

Is there a german list for Trados? I have some difficulties to explain hwta I mean in english

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Proofreading on the screen isn't really the most efficient Dec 1, 2008

but nevertheless, you can still see the match rate on the segment delimeters.

As for moving around in Tageditor: what about the command "Open next no 100%" or "Set Close next no 100% Open Get"?

Here is a list of Trados command, maybe it can be helpful to you.

German to Italian
+ ...
Ok, Dec 1, 2008

thank you, but I do use the commands. But did you notice, that if you open a ttx document and use the options you told me to use, that there will be opened (and closed,) every segment, even if they are 100%? Ok, that runs fast, but in a large document it would be faster to see the different colours and go immediately to that point of the document.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No, TE does (mostly) what the commands say Dec 1, 2008

Diana Mecarelli wrote:

thank you, but I do use the commands. But did you notice, that if you open a ttx document and use the options you told me to use, that there will be opened (and closed,) every segment, even if they are 100%? Ok, that runs fast, but in a large document it would be faster to see the different colours and go immediately to that point of the document.

When I translate a pretranslated ttx, TE behaves in a way the commands would let me expect it. I must however admit that I did not test those commands on a completly translated documents, because our proof reading routines differ from what you seem to do. TBH, I wouldn't leave segments out only because they were 100% matches. A 100% match does not necessarily mean there is no error in it or it fits into the context...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados changes the font of the text

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search