Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
"Different target in TM. Use "Get" to update ...
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 21:58
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Nov 24, 2008

document or "Set" to update TM."

I keep getting this strange comment on segments (some, not all) in the file (RTF) I just used to fill the TM with. I for sure have not changed the segments and in the TWB window (top vs bottom) they look identical.

Wth is happening?

TiA

Vito

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:58
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Different TUs in TM Nov 24, 2008

As far as I can understand, this happens when there is different 100% match in your TM and your text. Does your TM allow multiple translations?

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
It is a no-multiple-segments TM Nov 25, 2008

Does your TM allow multiple translations?

What's so surprising, is that some segments are OK, some are not.

Dusan Rabrenovic
Dusan Rabrenovic  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2008)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Common issue Nov 25, 2008

I've had my fair share of these peculiar problems myself, even though all my TMs do NOT allow multiple identical source segments. I have tried overwriting the target segment with the same text over and over, but any time reopen it, it's still yellow as opposed to green.
Strangely enough, it does this only for a certain number of freshly translated segments, not all of them (tried with a newly filled blank TM).

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:58
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Formatting difference? Nov 25, 2008

Would it change anything if in translation memory options -> penalties you zero all options?

The only way I can thing to handle this is updating the TM with latest texts, exporting the TM and reimporting in new TM.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
could it be some kind of a western1 vs Unicode problem? Nov 25, 2008

Strangely enough, it does this only for a certain number of freshly translated segments, not all of them (tried with a newly filled blank TM).

I can just confirm the behaviour.

i'll check if the questionable segments involve our "speshal" character č ...

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
been there, done that Nov 25, 2008

Spiros Doikas wrote: Would it change anything if in translation memory options -> penalties you zero all options?

no effect, tried it.

...The only way I can thing to handle this is updating the TM with latest texts, exporting the TM and reimporting in new TM.

This has been exactly the intention if this exercise. Negative.

Regards and thanks anyway

Vito

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
formatting or fields Nov 25, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:
... they look identical.

What is happening?

Formatting may be different... (Set penalty to zero)
Any text or attribute fields around? (Set penalty to zero)

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Bug... Nov 25, 2008

It's a bug in Workbench/TagEditor, unfortunately, I encounter it quite often... It is a bug, not a formatting/penalty issue, as those segments are never recognized as 100% matches - no matter how many times they are sent to the TM.

It is particularly annoying when you pretranslate many documents and use "Translate to Fuzzy" to get to those segments which are really different - every time you have to click through those "false mismatches".

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
++ Nov 25, 2008

It is particularly annoying when you pretranslate many documents and use "Translate to Fuzzy" to get to those segments which are really different - every time you have to click through those "false mismatches".

EXactly.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I checked this and negative, plus... Nov 25, 2008

Formatting may be different... (Set penalty to zero)
Any text or attribute fields around? (Set penalty to zero)

... all the segments should behave the same way - they come from the same two-column word file, converted to a bilingual RTF.

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I had the same problem today ... Nov 25, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

What's so surprising, is that some segments are OK, some are not.

... translating from German into English in Word 2003. Most segments are okay but some are simply not recognized as 100% matches, no matter what I do.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
... so my hypothesis about Unicode vs Western1 or 2 is maculatur Nov 26, 2008

... translating from German into English in Word 2003. Most segments are okay but some are simply not recognized as 100% matches, no matter what I do.

curiouser and curiouser...

Would you care to send me examples? I will post this issue on trados ideas site and need some (more) meat.

Thanks!

Vito

tz7
tz7
United States
Local time: 15:58
English to Japanese
hidden format information causes this??? Jan 9, 2009

I often have this issue. If I check the TU (Right-Click: Edit Translation Unit > Advanced Edit), translation in my TM doesn't have any formatting info but after accept the translation and check the TU, formatting info like "{\f559" is added. There should be an option to ignore these "advanced" formatting because I don't need them.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Bull's eye Jan 9, 2009

I often have this issue. If I check the TU (Right-Click: Edit Translation Unit > Advanced Edit), translation in my TM doesn't have any formatting info but after accept the translation and check the TU, formatting info like "{\f559" is added.

it's the formatting tags alright, I can confirm it. So it could be, that "formatting differences penalty" is meant to adress it.

However, at least as far as I can remember, I set all the penalties to zero and still no difference. I'll do it next time with eyes opened (g).

regards

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Different target in TM. Use "Get" to update ...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »