MultiTerm "invalid pointer" error
Thread poster: Marie Brotnov
Marie Brotnov
Marie Brotnov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:36
Dutch to English
Nov 25, 2008

I just got Trados 2007, and have not been able to get MultiTerm to work. When I try to open a termbase I created, or even the sample, all I get is "invalid pointer" and when I click ok, "a semicolon character was expected". I've been on the phone and online with Trados tech support for two weeks, without results so far. They think it's a space issue, but we re-installed it on a nearly empty external drive and still it's the same. Has anyone ever encountered this?
Also, Workbench is wo
... See more
I just got Trados 2007, and have not been able to get MultiTerm to work. When I try to open a termbase I created, or even the sample, all I get is "invalid pointer" and when I click ok, "a semicolon character was expected". I've been on the phone and online with Trados tech support for two weeks, without results so far. They think it's a space issue, but we re-installed it on a nearly empty external drive and still it's the same. Has anyone ever encountered this?
Also, Workbench is working fine. Can I take on jobs that require Trados even if Multiterm is not functioning? In other words, does it matter to the client whether I use MultiTerm or not, or is it mainly to make my own life easier, like a dictionary?
Any insights would be much appreciated.
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 12:36
you do not need Multiterm Nov 25, 2008

You do not need Multiterm to work with Workbench/TagEditor.

You said you installed Multiterm on an external hard drive?
Have you tried installing in on your C drive?
Also, what operating system are you using? I know this "invalid pointer" problem occurs with Vista x64.

[Edited at 2008-11-25 19:08 GMT]

Marie Brotnov
United States
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 25, 2008

Thanks you, it's good news that at least I can start using Trados for assignments.
We initially installed it on the C drive, but because it was almost full, tech support thought it might be a space issue. That's when we installed it on the external drive, but the problem is still there.
We use Windows XP, not vista. . .

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:36
Japanese to English
More specifics please Nov 26, 2008

When you say, "try to open a termbase", do you mean in MultiTerm itself or in Word for example? It would help to know specifically what combination of programs you're using, and what specific actions you've taken.

As to your other question, I think MultiTerm is the most useful thing about Trados. You can physically use Workbench without it, but whether you can meet the client's standards for vocabulary without it, while maintaining efficiency, is another question.

Marie Brotnov
United States
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
more specifics Nov 27, 2008

well, we just got the software, and all I have been able to do so far is create the framework for a termbase. So with "open a termbase" I mean try to add an entry to a still-empty termbase. The same thing happens whether I try to do it in Word/workbench mode or directly from the MultiTerm program: I click on the "add entry" icon or I press F3, and the "invalid pointer" message appears, nothing else. It doesn't even show the proper entry layout, I think, just the green MultiTerm logo inside ... See more
well, we just got the software, and all I have been able to do so far is create the framework for a termbase. So with "open a termbase" I mean try to add an entry to a still-empty termbase. The same thing happens whether I try to do it in Word/workbench mode or directly from the MultiTerm program: I click on the "add entry" icon or I press F3, and the "invalid pointer" message appears, nothing else. It doesn't even show the proper entry layout, I think, just the green MultiTerm logo inside the window where the lines for entries should be. The only programs I've used are Word and Trados itself.
The actions we've taken are shutting down the program and trying again, creating a new termbase in case I did something wrong the first time, and reinstalling the software on an external drive with more room than the C drive, where it was originally. Nothing has made any difference so far.
That's all I can think of; does that help?
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Java... MSXML... Nov 27, 2008

Marie Brotnov wrote:

I just got Trados 2007, and have not been able to get MultiTerm to work. When I try to open a termbase I created, or even the sample, all I get is "invalid pointer" and when I click ok, "a semicolon character was expected". I've been on the phone and online with Trados tech support for two weeks, without results so far.

Take it cool.
For some error like this you may wait 7-8 years and nothing occurs.

They think it's a space issue, but we re-installed it on a nearly empty external drive

Don't do it on an external drive.
Never.

and still it's the same. Has anyone ever encountered this?

Probably you have a newer Java version than the intelectually disabled Multiterm programmers expect.
First, uninstall all the Java versions higher than 1.5.0.12.
Make sure you have the 1.5.0.10 version installed too.
Second. try to unistall/reinstall the MSXML packages.
It should work.
Otherwise, you may have a .Net problem, it may be extremely hard to diagnose.

Also, Workbench is working fine.

'Cause Workbench is written in C++.
Unlike the Java and .Net stuff "proudly" made by SDL, it stiill works, it's harder to mess up.

Can I take on jobs that require Trados even if Multiterm is not functioning?

Yep.

In other words, does it matter to the client whether I use MultiTerm or not, or is it mainly to make my own life easier, like a dictionary?

In fact, it's more than a simple dctionary.
It's "mainly to make your own life easier"...
So why it's a good reason to buy a CAT
The fact SDL don't see Multiterm is unreliable at this point is a shame.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

HTH...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-11-27 19:53 GMT]

Marie Brotnov
United States
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
food for thought Nov 29, 2008

Thank you for your detailed response! I learned some new things, and I'll definitely try your suggestions.

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:36
Japanese to English
Is the termbase structure simple? Nov 30, 2008

Grzegorz's advice about the deeper technical issues is sound, and I recommend you investigate that.

But the other issue that I encountered when I started with MultiTerm is that I immediately began by trying to structure the termbases and ran into problems. This was so badly explained in the documentation that it never worked.

I don't know if you tried to create a new structure yourself when you set up the termbase, but I'd advise against it at first. Just specify the bi
... See more
Grzegorz's advice about the deeper technical issues is sound, and I recommend you investigate that.

But the other issue that I encountered when I started with MultiTerm is that I immediately began by trying to structure the termbases and ran into problems. This was so badly explained in the documentation that it never worked.

I don't know if you tried to create a new structure yourself when you set up the termbase, but I'd advise against it at first. Just specify the bilingual glossary, and click straight through all the rest of the wizard. If it doesn't work then, you can be reasonably sure that it's one of the things Grzegorz mentioned.
Collapse

Marie Brotnov
United States
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
termbase set up Dec 2, 2008

yes, I ran into that very problem. It was extremely frustrating to try and understand the whole set-up process, even after going through the tutorial and studying the manual. It seemed to me they spend pages reiterating the obvious while ignoring the things I need them to explain in more detail, like what they mean with all those different fields and levels. The only thing they explain in detail in the tutorial is how to convert an older termbase. . . no help fo a new user!
Anyway, I di
... See more
yes, I ran into that very problem. It was extremely frustrating to try and understand the whole set-up process, even after going through the tutorial and studying the manual. It seemed to me they spend pages reiterating the obvious while ignoring the things I need them to explain in more detail, like what they mean with all those different fields and levels. The only thing they explain in detail in the tutorial is how to convert an older termbase. . . no help fo a new user!
Anyway, I did create a termbase just clicking "next" like you said, but no luck: the error message is still there.
I feel better, though, knowing that others share some of my frustration, and that it's not just me. I'm looking into getting more RAM for the C drive, so I can take it off the external drive, like Grzgregorz suggested.
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Some remarks... not very useful... Dec 2, 2008

Marie Brotnov wrote:

I don't think the Trados manuals are friendly.
And generally, I have a very poor opinion about Multiterm.
I.e. the basic algorithms are splendid, the main ideas are great (yes, sometimes I have good words about it...) but the execution and the user interface is a pain in the arse.
Don't get frustrated.
It's "normal".
Just find a person who knows how it works and ask him to show you the basic operations and the typical traps.
It takes two hours and some beers

Anyway, I did create a termbase just clicking "next" like you said, but no luck: the error message is still there.

If you have followed my scenario related to Java and it still doesn't work, I suppose your Windows is dying.
I.e. you have probably a .Net problem, in your case, I think it's better to reinstall all.
It may be damn difficult to fix.

I feel better, though, knowing that others share some of my frustration, and that it's not just me. I'm looking into getting more RAM for the C drive, so I can take it off the external drive, like Grzgregorz suggested.

Wow
I love the manner the people spell my first name

The principle is simple.
It's Gregorius in Latin i.e. Gregory.
In Polish, the Latin "r" + anterior vowel kinda i/y or e gives "rz" (pronounced now like "j" in French, the medieval pronounciation was "ry", then "rj", this pronounciation is still alive in some Silesian subdialects, is the same as the Czech "ř").
You'll find this kind of comportment in most Slavic languages but Polish is extreme

Cheers
GG

Marie Brotnov
United States
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
spelling puzzles Dec 3, 2008

Oh geez, that's embarrassing how I misspelled your name! The funny thing is that I double- checked the spelling because I wanted to make sure I got it right, but I still tripped up. I blame MultiTerm-induced stress
Interesting explanation; I always wondered how all those consonants worked. So phonetically, your name is pronounced Gr-je-gor-je? Where is the emphasis?
Actually, I can relate to spelling issues. My
... See more
Oh geez, that's embarrassing how I misspelled your name! The funny thing is that I double- checked the spelling because I wanted to make sure I got it right, but I still tripped up. I blame MultiTerm-induced stress
Interesting explanation; I always wondered how all those consonants worked. So phonetically, your name is pronounced Gr-je-gor-je? Where is the emphasis?
Actually, I can relate to spelling issues. My given name is Mariette (contraction of Marie Jannette, my legal name), which looks very strange to American eyes, and then the last name Brotnov gets misspelled in infinite ways, it seems. Broton, Boron, Brotnoz, you name it, I've seen it. But the best one ever was Brotmouse--I have no idea what that person was thinking. :0
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Some easy way to get a MT termbase witout a big headache Dec 3, 2008

is to create an Excel list of say 20 entries in two languages and use this as a starting point for your Multiterm termbase. Works like a charm.
To get you started, read this description, it was written by an simple user.
Should this database refuse to work either, then I must say I can't give better advices than Gregory already did.

Best regards
J
... See more
is to create an Excel list of say 20 entries in two languages and use this as a starting point for your Multiterm termbase. Works like a charm.
Should this database refuse to work either, then I must say I can't give better advices than Gregory already did.

Best regards
Jerzy

(another one with strange consonants in his christian name)
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Off topic... Dec 4, 2008

Marie Brotnov wrote:

In fact, I always have a lot of fun
And, as my last name is rather strange in the standard Polish, it's often misspelled in Poland too
Generally, it may be an adapation of the Ukrainian Hryc (still a lot of fun 'cause it means Greg too) or an arcaic form of the Polish Silesian dialect (the same).
So I'm Greg Greg

Interesting explanation; I always wondered how all those consonants worked.

It's just a inhabitual graphic representation.
In fact, Polish may be strange but it's generally very consequent, unlike English (you can't be sure how you should pronounce a vowel...).

In the Central Europe, we have a lot of "false" groups of consonants resulting from the adaptation of the Latin alphabet to our phonetic reality.
E.g. see the Hungarian.
It's the opposite of Polish, e.g:
we write s, they write sz (pronounced as French ss)
we write sz, they write s (pronounced as French ch)
If you consider the German ß (medieval sz, modern ss), you have another piece of the same puzzle

So phonetically, your name is pronounced Gr-je-gor-je?

According to the French rules, Gjegoj.

Where is the emphasis?

In the standard Polish, it's almost always paroxyton except some historically compound verbal forms (proparoxyton and "proproparoxyton")
Attention
We have 7 cases, so e.g. in dative, you have Grzegorzowi (pronounced as "gjegojovi") with the emphasis on the second "o".
It's a damn fucking difficult language for a foreigner
Probably it's the hardest Slavic language and one of the most difficult european languages.

BTW.
One of very rare persons who spoke Polish as a Polish (with a kind of "Silesian" accent, typical for Germans) I ever spotted was Uwe Kirmse, deceased in 2005.
I always had a lot of fun when he made a grammar mistake.
It was extremely rare, it was a challenge to catch him.
We all miss him.

Actually, I can relate to spelling issues. My given name is Mariette (contraction of Marie Jannette, my legal name), which looks very strange to American eyes,

Yep.
As my second foreign language is Catalan (but it's my beloved one), I still give an example of a Catalan professor living in US, his first name was Joan (i.e. Johannes, John), he almost always received letters adressed to a Mrs Joan or was considered as militant homosexual

and then the last name Brotnov gets misspelled in infinite ways, it seems. Broton, Boron, Brotnoz, you name it, I've seen it. But the best one ever was Brotmouse--I have no idea what that person was thinking. :0

LOL
It's logical.
Mice eat "brood".
Whazza linguist

Cheers
GG

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
:) Dec 4, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

As my opinion related to the MT programming quality is very poor, I always suppose the worse case i.e. a general dysfunction.
Although after Win XP SP3 it's getting better.

(another one with strange consonants in his christian name)

Chrząszcz z przestrzennej skrzyni w Pszczynie brzmi w trzech trześniach w Szczebrzeszynie, zżera w czerwcu jelce Szczerbca, w trzcinie strzyga tkwi krwiożercza, wśród tych bzdurstw wytrzeszcza gały...

Cheers
GG

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
OT: Stefan Müller Dec 4, 2008

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
Chrząszcz z przestrzennej skrzyni w Pszczynie brzmi w trzech trześniach w Szczebrzeszynie, zżera w czerwcu jelce Szczerbca, w trzcinie strzyga tkwi krwiożercza, wśród tych bzdurstw wytrzeszcza gały...

Cheers
GG

This German comedian, living in Poland, brought even our dear beetle recently during a big political event in Germany, where I had the pleasure to interpret him (well, for my luck just for a single person and not in public).
But still, even after so many years in Poland he will not be able to bring this nice children poem without spelling mistakes (neither does my daughter)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm "invalid pointer" error

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »