Thread poster: Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:54
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dec 2, 2008

Hi,

I was provided by a TM from the client (a .txt which I imported in a new TM I created). And upon opening the first segment, the translation I got was gibberish. I browsed through the TM and all translations seem gibberish. Any idea what could be wrong? From the look of things, I could tell it is a Unicode thing. Or is it a matter of wrong language pair? Your input is highly valued.

Best,
Noha

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:54
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Better ask you client Dec 2, 2008

What do you mean with gibberish? Can you recognise the language at all.
Only you and your client can fix this problem, I would think.
Regards
Heinrich

Noha Kamal, PhD.
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
weird looking chaarcters Dec 2, 2008

But gibberish, I mean weird looking characters like .ÓíÇÓÇÊ ÇáåÏÇíÇ ÇáÎÇÕÉ ÈÔÑßÉ ÇáÔÎÕ ÇáÐí íÊÓáã ÇáåÏÇí
I intend to ask my client of course but due to time zone difference, I thought I'd make use of the time and post the question on Proz.

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Ask for a Trados 7.x (or higher) .txt file Dec 2, 2008

Trados TWB supports two formats for exported .txt TMs. In older Trados versions (2.x to 6.x) the exported .txt TMs were encoded in the local code page. For Arabic this was code page 1256. However, starting with version 7.x, TMs were exported as Unicode files.
The "gibberish characters" are actual Arabic characters encoded in CP1256. I.e., if you opened the .txt file in Office as a text file you'd get Arabic text.
Assuming that you have Trados 7.x you should ask your client to re-ex
... See more
Trados TWB supports two formats for exported .txt TMs. In older Trados versions (2.x to 6.x) the exported .txt TMs were encoded in the local code page. For Arabic this was code page 1256. However, starting with version 7.x, TMs were exported as Unicode files.
The "gibberish characters" are actual Arabic characters encoded in CP1256. I.e., if you opened the .txt file in Office as a text file you'd get Arabic text.
Assuming that you have Trados 7.x you should ask your client to re-export the TM as v7.x .txt file. If you have an older version you should ask them to export the file as v6.x compatible file.
If it's urgent you might also give a Unicode converter such as Harigaya's RTF Converter a try and convert the file as to or from Unicode.

Olaf
Collapse

Noha Kamal, PhD.
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados v.7 Dec 2, 2008

Well, Olaf, the funny thing is I am using Trados v. 7!

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Wrong TM format Dec 2, 2008

Well, Olaf, the funny thing is I am using Trados v. 7!

That may be, but this doesn't change the fact that the text file that you received from your vendor is in the wrong format and they'll need to re-export it for you.

Olaf

Noha Kamal, PhD.
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's probably it. Dec 2, 2008

Your are absolutely right, Olaf. This makes perfect sense, actually. Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Gibberish translation from the TM

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »