how to give a Word bilingual document after a translation in Trados?
Thread poster: Valérie Catanzaro

Valérie Catanzaro  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:27
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 5, 2008

Hello !

I am doing my first translations with Trados and I am a bit lost.
I have done a translation into French with Trados TagEditor and Workbench. Everything's ok. The agency asked me to send them the bilingual document in Word, so I saved what is actually called "preview" . Then I sent it as a Word bilingual document.
However the agency said the document they received is only in French (I don't understand why), and asked me to translate from their .doc english document, in Word with their TM (keeping the tags)...

Could someone help me please ?

Thanks in advance !

-Valérie-

Direct link Reply with quote

Effie Emmanouilidou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:27
English to Greek
Send the .ttx Dec 5, 2008

Hello,

What type was the file the agency sent you?

If it was .ttx, you just send back the translated .ttx.

If it was a Word document that you imported into TagEditor, select File > Save bilingual As and save the file again as .ttx.

If you used TagEditor, I believe this is the only way.

If you translate only with Word and Trados Workbench, you send the translated file you work on. You will be able to see the source and target segments if you have turned on Hidden text in Word (Tools > Options > View > Formatting marks and tick Hidden text).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Effie

France
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
but... Dec 5, 2008

Thanks Effie.

First of all I had sent the .ttx bilingual file, the agency said to send the bilingual Word document and now ... you know what they said to me (However the agency said the document they received is only in French (I don't understand why), and asked me to translate from their .doc english document, in Word with their TM (keeping the tags)...)

When they asked me the translation they sent me an .rtf document (to translate using Trados) and a .txt notepad for the TM.

I am very confused... Maybe I should ask directly to the agency...:-?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Effie's right Dec 5, 2008

Hi,
I suppose the agency requested you to send them a bilingual document PLUS an MS Word version.
If this is the case, follow Effie's instructions.
If they want you to send a bilingual Word version, I'm afraid you'll have to use your TM to retranslate the job directly in MS Word.

Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
May be Dec 5, 2008

May be the Word file contains columns in which you should write the target translation just near the source text.

There should be rows and cells.

And if you translate it in tag editor you are just translating the source text. But Agency asks you to enter the target text in the opposite column. (open word and you will see)

Hope this helps

France
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No column Dec 5, 2008

Thanks Stanislas and Ali.

However there is no column, row or cell in the Word file...

I hope I don't have to translate again, in Word... It would be a loss of time, and I've never done such a thing :s

I will ask the agency to explain me better. I'll tell you what was the problem and the solution when I get it.
Thanks again.

[Edited at 2008-12-05 09:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2008-12-05 10:36 GMT]

France
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what for ? Dec 5, 2008

Valerie Catanzaro wrote:

I hope I don't have to translate again, in Word... It would be a loss of time, and I've never done such a thing :s

What would be the point of translating again in Word whereas I already delivered a bilingual Word file ?

Jenni Jelse  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Was it really bilingual? Dec 5, 2008

Valerie Catanzaro wrote:

What would be the point of translating again in Word whereas I already delivered a bilingual Word file ?

Are you sure that the file you delivered was in fact bilingual? I thought you could only get a bilingual Word file if you did the translation in Word.

France
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Strange Dec 5, 2008

Hi Jenni,

Well I sent the file to myself to be sure of what I was sending. (it seems ridiculous but i'm quite desperate )
I opened it and everything seemed okay : I mean I have a .doc file in English (with the tags) and French. For exemple there are a couple of sentences in English, written in grey. Then the translated sentences in French, written in black.

I don't understand how it could be visible only to me.

I am currently waiting for the agency's e-mail...

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 20:27
English to Indonesian
+ ...
bilingual/unclean .doc file Dec 5, 2008

as you have done the translation with tageditor, then you can just run the source .doc file by translating it in the workbench, i.e., tools - translate - update document.

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 08:27
English to Spanish
If you sent a Word / Trados UNCLEAN file... Dec 5, 2008

They cannot see the source text due to they probably have the Word hidden text deactivated. Anyway, sending a bilingual file this way is not a good idea.

Do the following:
Select ALL text.
Click FORMAT.
Select "Font".
Unselect "Hidden"

Now you have both languages visible.
Start replacing the tags (both brackets and "o" in the middle) with 2 or 3 spaces. If you have fuzzy matches, replace each "%" match the same way, and so on.
Finally, you can replace the separation spaces with "^l".
This way you'll have a bilingual file.
Try to give a color to each language, such as blue for the source and black for the target.

Hope this helps.

France
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translation in MS Word with Workbench Dec 9, 2008

I did once again the translation using Word 2003 (and not OpenOffice because it wouldn't work) with the Workbench TM I had created for the TagEditor translation.

I hope this time it will be ok, Thanks all.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Right Dec 9, 2008

That's exactly what I was saying from the very beginning...

France
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
End of the story Dec 19, 2008

It has been accepted... It's ok now, thank you all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to give a Word bilingual document after a translation in Trados?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search