Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Any good trick how to use 2 different Trados Freelance versions on 1 internet connection?
Thread poster: Tomas Forro

Tomas Forro  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:00
Member (2008)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Dec 6, 2008

Hello,
I've just realised another "great" feature of Trados 2007 - if your partner is also a freelancer and you both use Trados, you shouldn't live together, because... you can't work together!
Please, have you got any idea about how could we work together with two freelance licences on one internet connection at the same time?

Each of us has 1 independent legal Trados 2007 Freelance license, but it is still impossible to use it at the same time on two different computers, if they share the same internet connection. I've read it is due to the fact that SDL wants us to pay even more so we should buy Trados Professional version.

Please, is there any trick that would help us with this ridiculous thing? I am wondering if I could somehow stop that specific Trados-related process which is checking my internet connection (for example with firewall or with some other oh-so-magic application).

Thank you very much in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 12:00
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Ask for refund Dec 6, 2008

I am not a lawyer, so it is better to ask it to your lawyer, but in my opinion you should ask for a refund in full, and for both copies of Trados.

Selcuk

---------------------------------------------
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/98345-translators_workbench_freelance_will_now_close.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/63326-how_to_use_2_sdl_trados_versions_in_a_network.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/109499-is_the_freelance_version_still_blocked_for_network_operation_of_multiple_licenses.html

[Edited at 2008-12-06 22:23 GMT]

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 04:00
English to Spanish
Yeah, there's a trick: Changing the Workgroup Name Dec 6, 2008

Exception: you won't be able to share files and printers while the workgoup name is changed.

Change the workgroup name of your PC.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43840.html

Poland
Member (2008)
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So absurd, so much SDL-like... Dec 7, 2008

Thank you very much guys,
The workgroup trick might be a good help, but I'm wondering if it is not going to prevent me from using my brand-new network printer.
It is so absurd, I can't believe it! Selcuk, I've read all your links with a great interest and I can see SDL is unbelievably arrogant - so many people having problems because of this and SDL is doing completely nothing about it! They're spamming me every week with their stupid letters about how much innovative is their new solution (so that I should buy it of course) and at the same time, Trados has been full of bugs, problems and difficulties for years.

They should fix all those ridiculous problems with Trados first and then speaking about innovations in translations business. It is the end of 2008 and Trados is still not working on x64 OS, even though you can hardly buy desktop PC that wouldn't be running on x64 processor these days.

http://ron.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/70178-windows_vista_trados_2007_and_office_2007.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/114563-multiterm_and_64_bits_os.html

As for my problem, it is apparent that their interest in ripping off the agencies is damaging my own efficiency - I work with completely different language pairs than my girlfriend and our only "guilt" is that we live together and work at home... unbelievable, shameful policy of SDL International!!!

psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
another possible (solomonic) solution Dec 7, 2008

This might seem more than a bit ridiculous, but...

Why not get ANOTHER internet connection? and preferably, through another ISP...
It has a cost, of course, but this is peanuts if compared with getting the Professional trados.

And you would also get redundant connection -thus, if not fail-safe, at least less failure-prone.

Well, SDL will sooner or later get hoisted with their own petard: They have quite a wide customer base, though this is a confusion of terms. By their own choosing, what they have built (at least insofar as freelancers are concerned), is a HOSTAGE base.

Ah, and then, to add insult to injury, they present us with a free! ROI calculator. Nice ROI it is, the I ours and the R theirs...

Though I have seen a few cases of a Stockholm syndrome, I guess that most of us are lashing at the restraint and the moment someone gets an application that is reasonably priced and not perpetually in a beta state (whose bugs are ironed out in the forums, mainly), the lesson will come crashing on their heads.

But by then it will be too late (for them, of course). Not that they have no idea that this is brewing for a very long time by now.

Poland
Member (2008)
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another internet connection for Trados? Great idea, I'll buy two of them! Dec 7, 2008

psicutrinius wrote:

This might seem more than a bit ridiculous, but...

Why not get ANOTHER internet connection? and preferably, through another ISP...
It has a cost, of course, but this is peanuts if compared with getting the Professional trados.

Great idea, Marcel!
I will buy another internet connection just for the guys in Trados. I should probably name it after Trados, too. And how about buying completely new hardware that complies with Trados requirements and connect it to the new internet connection...
Or even better, I might try to find brand new, Trados-friendly girlfriend, who would either stop using Trados during the day and work only in the night when I sleep, or, in the better case, she would simply buy Trados Professional (for both of us, of course!)
I might try to take my chance with their chat operators - they look really hot on the picture

But without jokes, I've found some interesting forum threads about how we can efficiently and seamlessly replace Trados with other applications. It might do until there will come some other solution that will make SDL nightmare history...

Jan Kolbaba  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
older version of Trados Dec 7, 2008

Hi Tomas,

Just a suggestion....

I had a smilar problem some time ago - I needed to run two Trados applications on two computers simultaneously. I found only one solution - I installed my older version of Trados to the second computer. I am talking about the Trados 2006 version which uses a lincence file for licence verification that is stored in a specific folder on the hard drive. May be you have this version too...? And yes, this version is out of date and has lots of bugs, but it works.

Good luck
Honza

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
One possible solution could be.. Dec 7, 2008

Hi!
Load all your licenses at one location and using the same internet connection work in different profiles. This might work or go for Trados professional or suite edition, the price is not very lucrative for freelancers though. BR Brandis

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
don't quite understand the problem Dec 7, 2008

You have two independent licenses and cannot use Trados because you share the same Internet connection? What happens if both computers are offline?

[Edited at 2008-12-07 11:44 GMT]

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is not allower to have two licences of Trados Freelance on the same network Dec 7, 2008

Lutz Molderings wrote:

You have two independent licenses and cannot use Trados because you share the same Internet connection? What happens if both computers are offline?

[Edited at 2008-12-07 11:44 GMT]

Hi, Lutz,

The problem is that you can't use Trados Freelance more than once in the same network.

If you have a network at home or in your office to share the Internet connection and other resources (like printers) you can only run one instance of Trados Freelance.

If two or more translators want to work in the same network, they have to buy the Professional edition of Trados, which is much more expensive.

I guess the reason for this is to prevent translation agencies or other companies from using the Freelance version instead of the professional one.

When you buy Trados Freelance through the TranslationZone.com website, this limitation is described very clearly before you pay but still...

Daniel

Poland
Member (2008)
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Everything is possible... Dec 7, 2008

Dear friends,
Thank you all for your help.
I'm definitely not going to buy new Professional version of Trados or anything else from SDL.
I've got some interesting ideas over this forum as well as in private - apparently, the best solutions to this problem are banned to be published on proz forum and I got them directly on my email.
It is ridiculous, but we learn things with each new word we read...

So thank you all again, I'll try the different possibilities and see how they work.
But I'm sure, this way or another, I'll find the way how we can simply make use of software for 2x650 Euro (even though it is still too low price for SDL).

My long-term attitude from now on will be to start looking for diversification of CAT tools - I've also learned that combination of two other CAT tools gives even better results than Trados while sustaining compatibility and high level of efficiency.

Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 12:00
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Workgroup name doesn't get in the way Dec 7, 2008

Carvallo wrote:

Exception: you won't be able to share files and printers while the workgoup name is changed.

Change the workgroup name of your PC.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43840.html

I can't say if changing the workgroup name will help with Trados, althoug I hope it will. But I can say that it won't prevent the using of shared resources.
Computers in different workgroups don't see each other in the first level of "Microsoft Windows Network" or "My Network Places" (these are not the same). Except that the machines won't be seen straight away in the user interface, e. g. Windows Explorer, accessing the other machine by name or by IP address will work just as before.
Besides, this change is so easy to perform and then to reverse that it doesn't hurt to try and see what happens.

OK, after I read what a previous poster said about that being an intentional limitation, I found this in the KB ( http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/kb/article.aspx?aid=1366&n=4&s=1 ):

Running several instances of Trados Translator's Workbench Freelance on a Local Area Network

Symptoms

Within a Local Area Network (LAN), you have SDL Trados Freelance installed on more than one machine. When launching the software you get the following error message: "Only one running instance of Translator's Workbench Freelance is allowed per local area network. Translator's Workbench Freelance will now switch to demo mode."
Explanation
This behavior is intentional and is explained in the SDL Trados Freelance Release Notes included with SDL Trados Freelance. When attempting to run multiple copies of SDL Trados Freelance on the same LAN, a message appears stating that it is not possible to do so. The second instance will run in Demo mode only. This applies even when you legally own multiple softkey licenses.
Resolution
SDL Trados Freelance is designed to run on stand-alone computers. If you want to use SDL Trados in the network environment, you need to upgrade your license to a Professional License.

I believe that this can be circumvented relatively easy, but I'll stop here.

[Edited at 2008-12-07 15:43 GMT]

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 04:00
English to Spanish
Good to know! Dec 7, 2008

bsb_2 wrote:
I can't say if changing the workgroup name will help with Trados, although I hope it will. But I can say that it won't prevent the using of shared resources.
Computers in different workgroups don't see each other in the first level of "Microsoft Windows Network" or "My Network Places" (these are not the same). Except that the machines won't be seen straight away in the user interface, e. g. Windows Explorer, accessing the other machine by name or by IP address will work just as before.
Besides, this change is so easy to perform and then to reverse that it doesn't hurt to try and see what happens.

This is good to know, BSB_2, and I think Tomas should take note of it.

Cheers.

Poland
Member (2008)
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will try Dec 7, 2008

Thank you very much bsb_2, I'll definitely try this.

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:00
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
SDL Trados policies are disgusting! Dec 7, 2008

That's how I see it. I complained about this very issue loudly a few years ago and was supplied with a special EXE file by a Trados executive that would allow me to operate my two freelance licenses on the home network. However, I don't count on this happening a second time, so I haven't upgraded since v7.5 and probably will not do so.

This problem comes up very frequently, and the official answer is always the same: you were "warned", and now you must pay up and get the "pro" version. Like freelancers aren't professionals in the first place? I'd say it's SDL that is unprofessional and hostile to users who don't fit its favored profile. At the same time, the company bleeds us like a jar full of leeches as often as possible for "upgrades".

It's really time to work harder at educating the user base and stop encouraging people to bend over and gratefully accept the sort of user abuse that SDL Trados dishes out. Unless you are the sort of person who yearns to do cattle call chaos projects involving online TMs & the like, it is utterly unnecessary to have a Trados license to create and deliver the uncleaned bilingual files that many outsourcers expect. There are many ways to do this - I'm not going to hawk my favorite ones here in this forum, because I think the important thing to emphasize here is that it is time to say a loud NO to SDL as long as such policies persist. There are many instances or translating couples or other small network-sharing arrangements, where the Professional version simply isn't in the budget, but rather than help those people, SDL Trados with its eye on maximizing the dollars from the corporate business would rather screw them.

I think the attitude of SDL's many competitors is generally healthier in this regard.

[Edited at 2008-12-07 17:04 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any good trick how to use 2 different Trados Freelance versions on 1 internet connection?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search