Is TRADOS 2007 Freelance Suite worth its money?
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 10:59
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Dec 8, 2008

Just a few points to consider:

1) The new 'Suite' (unlike previous releases) is not really an upgrade, it's an update. It is even named a 'patch' on the official TRADOS website. Well, patches and the like are usually downloadable free of charge. Even the meanest of software vendors will usually give their customers a period of 12 months within which ALL updates (and sometimes upgrades) would be free, and some will include a lifetime-upgrade-for-free option in the official offer. Well, not the developers of TRADOS.

2) As discussed elsewhere on this forum Multiterm has currently a grave problem with Java, and nobody really knows how to solve it. Imagine this: the TRADOS guys did not expect (obviously) that Java was going to release new versions of their RE, so TRADOS was only made to work with one of the obsolete versions of Java. And they blame it all on the automatic update function of Java! TRADOS say they are still 'working on the problem', and while they are at it, they are selling TRADOS 2007 Freelance Suite (which will ultimately not work on your computer) for a hefty amount of money...

Is this their idea of good customer service?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxOptiproz Pri
Local time: 09:59
English
Is TRADOS 2007 Freelance Suite worth its money? o yes it is.... Dec 8, 2008

Hi Pavel

to your point one:

Mmhh....i give you an example. You bought Office 2003 and now microsoft sells and upgrade to 2007 that has no really enhanced features only design changes and some new tools that you will never use since you don´t have any time to play with office around. Do you complain about the prices that are hundred of euros just to have a version that builds up on the old version and just fixed a bunch of problems and changed design???
Or is Microsoft just releasing new software that lies more than 12 months to the old one to charge money?
Maybe Trados develops a software that doesn´t do a lot of crap in the background like other software???

to your second point:

do you read the release notes of Sun?
MultiTerm 2007 builds on Java 1.5. How should a developer knows what Sun programs in the next versions?

O before i forget this regarding, if you read the release notes. Do you know that Java uses only the latest JAVA Applett ( MultiTerm uses this) even when you disable it in the Java Console? And you don´t have a chance to say that the Java version 1.5 should refer to MultiTerm even it is installed. Should we blame now Sun Microsystem that they force us to have the latest versions installed and also not neccessary versions installed on your machines that only uses harddrive space?
No we should really blame Trados.....because they use JAVA to run MultiTerm?
Not all applications use the simpliest commands that Java provides and if Sun brings out a new version that make really changes that is needed from MultiTerm, who should know this??

But hey...maybe you can develop a more efficient terminology program and release it next year and in 2012 i ask you why it isn´t working with my new OS or my latest java 2.0 version and my internet explorer 9 version.
O maybe you never saw the applications before but that is not so important since it would be your fault not to be a visionary.

Cheers

Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2005)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
I opt out Dec 8, 2008

Hi Pavel,

Personally, I intend to skip this upgrade. The new things aren't worth it. The most significant changes are the automated translation in Translator’s Workbench and inclusion of SDL Passolo Essential.

Please pay attention that the automated translation is still in beta and Bulgarian is not supported.

The following language pairs are currently supported 2-way by SDL Trados 2007 Suite Professional: English-Dutch/Dutch-English, English-German/German-English, English-French/French-English, English-Italian/Italian-English, English-Portuguese/Portuguese-English, English-Spanish/Spanish-English. In addition, the following languages are supported 1-way: English-Chinese (PRC), English-Chinese (Taiwan), English-Norwegian.

SDL Passolo Essential is not a fully fledged application. A project manager must compile the projects and send it to you. Moreover, how many Passolo jobs you receive per month? Please don't forget that there is SDL Passolo 2007 Translator Edition which is free.

The last extra is the additional support for the latest file filters - improved support for Microsoft Office 2007 and a new BroadVision QuickSilver 3.0. Not so many, uh?

P.S. I forgot to mention that I use SDL Trados 2007 Feelance (8.2.0.835). If you a several versons behind, you may reconsider

[Edited at 2008-12-08 14:20 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not true... Dec 9, 2008

ivaylo wrote:

SDL Passolo Essential is not a fully fledged application. A project manager must compile the projects and send it to you.

Not true. You can create your own projects too, but you cannot share them or use other TM systems, such as StarTransit. These Passolo plug-ins are missing. Therefore - Essential.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
All the Multiterm mess... Dec 9, 2008

Optiproz Prime wrote:

do you read the release notes of Sun? [/quote]
No, of course

MultiTerm 2007 builds on Java 1.5. How should a developer knows what Sun programs in the next versions?

So, a guy like Rodolfo Raya is a damn prophet and f...g magician 'cause his Swordfish works with every Java above 1.5.
http://www.maxprograms.com/downloads/swordfish.html
Or simply he codes properly

O before i forget this regarding, if you read the release notes. Do you know that Java uses only the latest JAVA Applett (MultiTerm uses this) even when you disable it in the Java Console? And you dont have a chance to say that the Java version 1.5 should refer to MultiTerm even it is installed. Should we blame now Sun Microsystem that they force us to have the latest versions installed and also not neccessary versions installed on your machines that only uses harddrive space?

I complain about the Sun plethora but the Multiterm programmers made a choice.
They should be consequent.
They should assume their software is based on a rapidly evolving runtime.
Or, they could have coded it in plain C/C++ with no Java/.Net problems.

No we should really blame Trados.....because they use JAVA to run MultiTerm?

Yes, because their Java progamming is simply messy.
E.g., as long as I remember (8 years, starting from Trados 5.5 SPS), they have a installation bug, the setup doesn't detect the Java versions higher than required and don't warn the user about it.
So, doesn't matter, Extraterm 5 or MT Extract 2007, the software installs in the way it can't work at all.
AsI said, it makes EIGHT years...
It's easier to leave thecode "as is" and put a mess related info in the knowledge base.

Not all applications use the simpliest commands that Java provides and if Sun brings out a new version that make really changes that is needed from MultiTerm, who should know this??

The MT programmers.
If they are not prophets as Rodolpho or Moses, they can issue patches

In fact, the Multierm development is the most slow in the SDL Trados pack.
E.g., it was no changes at all betwen Trados 7 and 2006 (MT build 7.1.0.361), it makes more than 2 years on the market.
Imagine the number of Java builds Sun could have released in the meantime.
Imagine the number of useful programs who may need a newer major Java release.
The MT programmers simply don't respect their customers.
They have their SDL Holy Graal.

But hey...maybe you can develop a more efficient terminology program and release it next year and in 2012 i ask you why it isn´t working with my new OS or my latest java 2.0 version and my internet explorer 9 version.
O maybe you never saw the applications before but that is not so important since it would be your fault not to be a visionary.

If coded properly, it should work in some way.
E.g. my MS Word 95 works on XP SP2 or higher with some garbage on the screen but the essential functions are not altered.
10 years after the initial release.

BTW.
Multiterm 5 still works properly on Vista.
So they messed something badly in the new Multiterm line.

The current MT architecture was made by an idiot with no respect tho the basic guidelines of the programming for the 32-bit Windows although the Windows NT line was already available on the market.
E.g. you must have administrative rights to write in the 'All Users' tree.
Or you must elevate the user right access to the MT related branch of this tree.
It was not fixed during approx. 6-7 years.
In the meantime, we all switched to some 32-bit Windows.
And again, exactly the same stupidity in the MT architecture makes MT is not compatible with the User Access Control feature in Vista.
And nothing changes.

They simply don't care.
And, of course, they're not visionary.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-12-09 10:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is TRADOS 2007 Freelance Suite worth its money?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search