Thread poster: Andriy Yasharov

Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:33
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 9, 2008

The problem I've encountered is as follows: the target MS PowerPoint files cannot be read after a cleanup operation with Trados because the font. or rather the coding looks something like this:
ђќњЄџќљґњіЏ@xќћџќ њЋђ
ЉёЛЮj@ЪЮєjЮы@Пё@ЭНjјЯюпКj@єЪЫЬЪЭыK

I received the source English PowerPoint files from Japan, then I opened the first one of them in TagEditor, translated it into Russian and cleaned it up. After that, I open the target translated .ppt file and see this mishmash of strange characters. However, if I copy the Russian words and paste them in the Notepad, they appear quite fine.
Another strange thing that happened is when I first tried to open the target English Powerpoint files sent to me from Japan, the MS Office 2003 Installer started and installed automatically some components. Now I see that some new tabs appeared in the Word Options window with some Asian options.

The question is how can I produce translated ppt. files with a normal coding?

I use Trados 7.1 Freelance, MS Office 2003 Pro, Windows XP Pro SP2

Any help is highly appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

sivtufte  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 12:33
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Asian settings... Dec 9, 2008

I have no experience whatsoever in your language combinations, but somehow I remember these vague things about Japanese settings... I tried to search backwards in the forums, still not quite remembering what the Q I look for is...

There MIGHT besome useful info on settings that garble up your work, in this one:

http://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/113377-shruti_and_mangal_fonts_office_2003_do_not_work.html

(- Note: even if the languagepairs are no match, asian settings may be used even with the english source text. ) Be open minded, and search forums for technical issues - there's a lot of really useful info out there.

Best wishes, I hope you manage to work it out.
Siv

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impossible to read target .ppt files after CleanUp with Trados

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search